A New Cat

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A few days ago I made a post about how my family wanted to get a new dog. Well my mom said no for a few reasons. It would have to be inside and it would cost a lot for grooming.
My dad said that he would rather get another cat than a dog. I was looking at some cats to adopt. (I hate buying from Pet Stores like, Petsmart, and Petco etc. because the animals there come from animal mills. #AdoptDon'tShop) I found this cat that I really like. It's a Calico female. My cat is a boy but he is neutered so we don't have to worry about him getting her pregnant. She is also spayed so if she went outside she would be fine, but I don't let them outside.
My friend's brother said not to get 2 male cats, cause they fight all the time. I'm not sure if he is confusing play fighting with actually fighting. I'll have to ask his mom.
I'm also worried that I will get the wrong cat and that my life will be completely different if I do. I have the same special feeling when I saw the Calico cat as when I did see my passed cat Byron.
Should I get another cat? Any advice, and/or questions, I'll be happy to answer them all!
Thank you!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That depends. How old is your cat, how long has he been an only cat? are they used to other animals, etc.

Rather than male or female, focus on personality matches. You'd want to get a cat that likes to do things yours like to do and a similar energy level.

I have 3 male cats. They are all neutered so I don't have any issues with spraying or fighting. They all like to pay chase and wrestle and watch birds. I followed proper cat introductions and went at the cats' paces.

I chose my cats specifically for their personalities. I wanted confident cats who wouldn't be overly dominant. Two came from places where there was an older cat in their foster homes and all were unreactive to other cats.

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, so what your friend said is really only true if the males are unfixed and therefore territorial… two males that are fixed and introduced properly often get along very well, often times (according to some) better than other gender pairings. Play fighting is very common, especially among male pairings, but it’s very clearly distinguishable from real fighting. At the end of the day it really comes down to the personalities of the cats involved, regardless of gender, and making sure they are introduced in a proper and positive way.

Also, at least where I live, the cats at Petsmart are all adoptables from local rescues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, so what your friend said is really only true if the males are unfixed and therefore territorial… two males that are fixed and introduced properly often get along very well, often times (according to some) better than other gender pairings. Play fighting is very common, especially among male pairings, but it’s very clearly distinguishable from real fighting. At the end of the day it really comes down to the personalities of the cats involved, regardless of gender, and making sure they are introduced in a proper and positive way.

Also, at least where I live, the cats at Petsmart are all adoptables from local rescues.
My passed cat Byron had a friend he would hangout with he was also male and they never fought or anything. They once hung out in the car together until my mom found them and made them get out. His friend got hit hit by a car a few years ago.