A LITTLE house?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you seen this article?

Living in a tiny house

This guy built himself an 89 square foot house. Actually, it's larger than that, because it has a loft where he sleeps.

We have a house in Arkansas that is only about 900 square feet, designed with a lot of the same ideas. Nowhere near as compact, however!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could definitely live like that, but only if I lived alone...
Living with whomever else even if it's my SO whom I love, I still need to have privacy even from him. I'm all about privacy which is why I was so happy when my family moved in a bigger house as a kid, so my room could be as far away from my parents as possible...I just can't be around people for long periods of time, I get anxious and want to get away and be alone for a bit, I find the silence so relaxing and the fact that there is no one there to notice me relaxes me too.
Otherwise the house is perfect for one person, I think it's okay even for 1 person and a cat if there is an enclosure outside for the kitty to play.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like his philosophy and as a minimalist myself, I don't like clutter and agree that owning a lot of "stuff" is a burden!

My husband, daughter, and I live in a 700 sq. ft. farmhouse, built in 1930, so I guess we each have twice as much room as the guy in the tiny house! I think I personally need 200 sq. ft., though, since I pace and couldn't do that in such a tiny space. But it's comfortable and snug to me (I don't like cathedral ceilings in a home, makes me feel tiny and insignificant.)

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I saw that yesterday. He never mentions it but it looks like he has no indoor plumbing.

You can see the pottery crock at the sink. In one scene he is filling it at an outdoor faucet.

Where does he take a shower?

In my decline I need some luxuries.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The video showed a toilet, but you're right, Dottie thought he didn't have indoor plumbing, either.

And he obviously lives where a/c isn't crucial.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, we could never live in anything that small. The husband has too much *&^%!

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
DH and i and our 9 furbabies live in a house that's 989 sq ft. our housepayments are a lot less than what most people pay for rent in this area and we have 7 more years (out of 15) and it will be paid off. i sometimes wish it was a little bigger but the upkeep is easier and we still have a good size back yard

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I saw the general concept months ago first thing I thought was cool I could have one for my nut cat who don't want to be inside but outside would get into to much trouble(got out for few hours and in that time got into a garage/attic, someones house and in the car...sigh....)

I could do it if I lived alone-thin this would help my misplacements(organized but I often forget where I put it do to medical issue-lymes) I hate clutter and pass off usable things all the time-cl, friends,family.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's obviously never going to get married. Or get a date.

It would be great though as a "holiday home" to drag behind your vehicle, kinda like fancy camping. Has a bit more of a homey feeling than an RV.