A little daily record on my cat's diarrhea (also looking for advice)

FurryMonsters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feel free to be as dramatic as you need to be, we're all familiar with the emotions that come with having a sick furbaby :)
4 days sounds about right for responding to Metro, see what your vet says about giving it again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PotatoCatto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not much has been happening, but we've only been on the new food for two and a half days. We didn't transition him because the vet said we didn't need to. Even then maybe it's going to take a while for his tummy to get used to it and for it to work.

I think I might consider calling in tomorrow to book an appointment for next week. Having diarrhea for 2 weeks can't possibly be good, even though he's doing OK otherwise.

PotatoCatto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update! I'm very very tired but (cautiously) excited!

First of all, his test results came out all negative. This includes parasites and PCR.

**a little warning: the following paragraphs contain discussions on his stool**

Secondly, and the most exciting news of all! He had solid poop today!!! Before that he hasn't pooped for nearly 2 days. I don't think we are completely out of the woods yet, and I want to observe him for at least another week, but this at least gives me some relief.

It's strange because he didn't appear to be doing any better or worse the day before he just completely stopped pooping compared to any other day (of his diarrhea). That day he went to the box to poop 6 or 7 times. While it was better than the worst day, it wasn't much better than any other days when he had diarrhea. Of the 6 or 7 times, there were 2 occasions where he went to the box twice within an hour and was just straining and visibly irritated. His poop texture that day also didn't look any better than any other days (of his diarrhea). Cats are just kind of mysterious 🤔

Last edited:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Update! I'm very very tired but (cautiously) excited!

First of all, his test results came out all negative. This includes parasites and PCR.

**a little warning: the following paragraphs contain discussions on his stool**

Secondly, and the most exciting news of all! He had solid poop today!!! Before that he hasn't pooped for nearly 2 days. I don't think we are completely out of the woods yet, and I want to observe him for at least another week, but this at least gives me some relief.

It's strange because he didn't appear to be doing any better or worse the day before he just completely stopped pooping compared to any other day (of his diarrhea). That day he went to the box to poop 6 or 7 times. While it was better than the worst day, it wasn't much better than any other days when he had diarrhea. Of the 6 or 7 times, there were 2 occasions where he went to the box twice within an hour and was just straining and visibly irritated. His poop texture that day also didn't look any better than any other days (of his diarrhea). Cats are just kind of mysterious 🤔
Just thought I’d check in w you and see if the solid poop thing is still “holding its own,” so to speak. 😬 My boy is now on metronidazole & I’m freaking myself out reading about all the possible side effects. But it does seem to help.

PotatoCatto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just thought I’d check in w you and see if the solid poop thing is still “holding its own,” so to speak. 😬 My boy is now on metronidazole & I’m freaking myself out reading about all the possible side effects. But it does seem to help.
I was thinking about posting an update earlier today! I’ve recently been trying to catch up a bit on other things in life :)

After having the solid poop last Sunday he started having poop that is half solid and half soft. The first half would be solid and the second half would become quite soft and the soft half would get crushed by the litter. The frequency of his pooping became normal - about once every 24 hours. The soft part might have also been thicker than before because he was quite clean after going and didn’t require me to wipe him:wavey:. That lasted until around Wednesday/Thursday I think. Then he stopped pooping for about 36 hours. When he finally pooped again it looks almost completely normal! He’s pooped twice since then and his poop has been looking great. I’ve been giving him his regular probiotics and his GI food but no other medication on top of that. Good luck to your boy!!!

PotatoCatto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sigh…

Today he went twice. Once around noon and once around 7pm. The first time he had half solid and half soft poop and the second time his poop was quite soft. I’m very scared as I know his poop can turn from good to full-on diarrhea quick.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Right “behind” you. Thinking of trying to convince my vet to get off the ‘zole early and put him on proviable capsules... Mine’s more like a big blob. I can just tell he doesn’t like this stuff. We are both praying to the poop gods.

PotatoCatto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right “behind” you. Thinking of trying to convince my vet to get off the ‘zole early and put him on proviable capsules... Mine’s more like a big blob. I can just tell he doesn’t like this stuff. We are both praying to the poop gods.
Prior to owning a cat with suspected IBD I never thought I would talk this much about his poop. My mood really depends on how good his poop looks that day 💀 I literally run to his litterbox the moment he poops (thankfully he is ok with being stared at when doing his business) to see what it looks like when it’s fresh.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
I really do hope veterinarians are taking notes on all of us. I KNOW folks say this IBD stuff has been around awhile, but in my many years of cat ownership, this is the very first time I’m grappling with it. Is it something in the can? A new weird ingredient? You’d think by now they have this one figured out.

PotatoCatto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really do hope veterinarians are taking notes on all of us. I KNOW folks say this IBD stuff has been around awhile, but in my many years of cat ownership, this is the very first time I’m grappling with it. Is it something in the can? A new weird ingredient? You’d think by now they have this one figured out.
I feel like there’s just not as much money in the veterinary industry as there is in the human health industry. In fact I think it’s already a lot better for dogs and cats than for other more “exotic” pets like rats and bunnies. It’s just an unfortunate fact that we have to deal with. I dont know anything about human IBD so all of this is just my speculation. It frustrates me a lot when I was basically told that the only way for me to know what he can/cannot eat is through an 8 week food trial. And after that if it doesn’t work we will need to put him on steroids. My work is quite stressful and honestly waking up 3 or 4 times a night to clean him for 2 weeks is already giving me a tremendous amount of anxiety 😥. If it lasts for a long time(like 8 weeks for the food trial) I don’t even know how I’m going to deal with it. I try not to think about it too much though.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like there’s just not as much money in the veterinary industry as there is in the human health industry. In fact I think it’s already a lot better for dogs and cats than for other more “exotic” pets like rats and bunnies. It’s just an unfortunate fact that we have to deal with. I dont know anything about human IBD so all of this is just my speculation. It frustrates me a lot when I was basically told that the only way for me to know what he can/cannot eat is through an 8 week food trial. And after that if it doesn’t work we will need to put him on steroids. My work is quite stressful and honestly waking up 3 or 4 times a night to clean him for 2 weeks is already giving me a tremendous amount of anxiety 😥. If it lasts for a long time(like 8 weeks for the food trial) I don’t even know how I’m going to deal with it. I try not to think about it too much though.
I feel like there’s just not as much money in the veterinary industry as there is in the human health industry. In fact I think it’s already a lot better for dogs and cats than for other more “exotic” pets like rats and bunnies. It’s just an unfortunate fact that we have to deal with. I dont know anything about human IBD so all of this is just my speculation. It frustrates me a lot when I was basically told that the only way for me to know what he can/cannot eat is through an 8 week food trial. And after that if it doesn’t work we will need to put him on steroids. My work is quite stressful and honestly waking up 3 or 4 times a night to clean him for 2 weeks is already giving me a tremendous amount of anxiety 😥. If it lasts for a long time(like 8 weeks for the fo

OH sorry for the hooplah above…TCS seems to be going through some maintenance. If it helps you I have just finished spending 2 joyous diarrhea free years with my cat on prednisolone, with excellent quality of life and solid poops. But it seems to be a trade off. I’m about to put him on probiotics, so will let you know if it helps. Honestly deep down I think the solution is some sort of alternative to conventional medicine, but as our cats can’t tell us exactly, we do our best. Just to say though, pred might give you a reprieve and some rest.

CatSaver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear PotatoCatto,
Have you tried homeopathy? No side effects, it's not expensive, and it works. Have used it on sick/injured feral cats, on wild raccoons, on friends, and on myself for years! No placebo effect involved, as some people claim -- not with cats and raccoons! There are a number of good "homeopathy for cats" sites that take the guesswork out of treating kitties, and I've seen that diarrhea is one of the top problems they address. Cost to you? Zero. See what remedy(s) are recommended and at what potencies, then follow their dosing instructions. I get most of my remedies from Amazon, and like Boiron because of their easy to use dispensers. Which reminds me, time to give some to MiniCat, who has gone from not eating/drinking a thing for several days, 2 months ago, to now eating/drinking, playing, leaping tall buildings -- saved by homeopathy and many prayers. Hope this post helps you. Have not seen an update from you since August. Hoping your kitty is doing better now.
CatSaver

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
There are a lot of dangers associated with "homeopathy" or "natural remedies" C CatSaver We never encourage people to gamble with their pet's well being by attempting to medicate without seeking advice from a qualified veterinarian.

Please take a moment to read our article.

Are Alternative Treatments Safe For Cats? - TheCatSite

CatSaver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are a lot of dangers associated with "homeopathy" or "natural remedies" C CatSaver We never encourage people to gamble with their pet's well being by attempting to medicate without seeking advice from a qualified veterinarian.

Trying homeopathy was a suggestion. I agree that "natural remedies" are largely unproven and questionably safe. Homeopathy is not a natural remedy, doesn't involve herbs or supplements. Its results are safe, predictable, mild but effective. Many qualified veterinarians actually have web sites offering free information on pet ailments and suggested homeopathic treatments. Again, it was just a suggestion.
CatSaver