A Kitten Thing? Or A Forever Thing?

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats, Spartacus and Gannicus, are about 6.5 months old. Of course, they are very playful. Spartacus is super vocal.. my question is about him.

He walks around meowing "yowwl.. trill trill" "yoooouwll trill trill." I play with them multiple times a day, but I think he gets "bored" and is trying to instigate play with me or his brother. At first I thought it was super cute, so I always reacted.. and we would go back and forth "talking."... BUT, then it went on during the night and so now I'm trying to ignore it and give him attention when he is quiet... as I really don't want the "yowlll trill trill" to go on forever.. cause it's kinda loud and demanding feeling. Gannicus will react sometimes and go chasing him down the hall (playfully) and then spartacus bounces around like a little crazy dude.

So... do you think this vocalization of, what believe is him saying "i'm bored, play and follow me!" will decrease with his age? Or, is it a forever thing?

Experience? Anyone with very vocal cats?

I Also want to mention he is sooo cute and "meows" for more pets while being petted. But sometimes its like.. "uhh spartacus, calm down... you're OK dude, I am petting you, relax."

Thanks!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL.. i have a super vocal male cat as well. He talked all the time when he was a kitten, you never had to wonder where he was, he is 2 now. He still talks more than my other cats, but not near as much as he did when a Kitten. So in my experience it may never go away, and thats ok, because it is kind of cute :) But it does diminish with age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL.. i have a super vocal male cat as well. He talked all the time when he was a kitten, you never had to wonder where he was, he is 2 now. He still talks more than my other cats, but not near as much as he did when a Kitten. So in my experience it may never go away, and thats ok, because it is kind of cute :) But it does diminish with age.
Hahah, that's adorable. yes it is very cute, even if it is excessive at times. It'd be sad if it completely went away. thanks for the response. I'm glad to know at least it's a little less than before :D

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My boy actually got louder as an adult. Not talking back doesn't help with mine because he just keeps going either way. :devilcat2:

Good news is that you can establish bed time and quiet time. At my house my cats know that once I am in bed they will get no response except some petting so they quiet down and sleep too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy actually got louder as an adult. Not talking back doesn't help with mine because he just keeps going either way. :devilcat2:

Good news is that you can establish bed time and quiet time. At my house my cats know that once I am in bed they will get no response except some petting so they quiet down and sleep too.
oh man! he got worse?! aah haha .. Bed time is progressively getting better for us at least :)