a confession!!

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm calling B.S. I'm up for a good conspiracy theory just as much as the next person...but Americans are fat because we like FOOD and we eat a lot of bad food.

If rice was a staple in our diet and we ate more fish, I do believe that americans as a whole would be a lot thinner.

But gosh darnit.... We just crave a big mac every now and then!

Bottom line... eat more sushi!!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"Eat more sushi!"

What, and let the corporations and Chinese Communists poison me with mercury?

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

"Eat more sushi!"

What, and let the corporations and Chinese Communists poison me with mercury?
Good point, but I still like Sushi, just like I wont stop eating Splenda.

I hear that if you vary the types of fish that you eat, you are less likely to get sick.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Sushi!!!!

I don't drink any kind of pop anymore. Just water and iced tea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

I didn't know any of that.

As bad as that is, it wont stop me from using splenda
just because I want to cut as much sugar out of my diet as possible.
Actually, a lot of the places that say splenda and aspartame are really bad for you also say they will make you gain weight...Well I haven't gained any weight at all with all that diet coke I've been drinking. And a year ago I even lost weight, when I was dieting and then kept it off.....I am not sure what they mean by saying that aspartame will make you gain weight, there is no explanation they provide behind that either

But I agree with strange_wings you should look up stevia..

mrblanche- I certainly don't believe in that conspiracy between conagra and communists- but I do believe in the possibility of conagra and monsanto affecting government decisions about healthy diet guidelines. A lot of the CEO's and owners of these companies are also on the board of directors of the FDA, and if you notice, the food pyramid that the government makes has complex carbs like grains at the bottom, and that is exactly what monsanto is in the business of. There are so few research studies proving that eating a diet high in complex carbs is healthier than the more natural meat eating diet, where if you look at african hunting and gathering tribes, it's obvious that they have low heart attack rates and low cholesterol levels. And, when eating carbs there is an increased risk of diabetes which has been rising very steeply in the US.
By the way, saccharin has actually been proven to cause bladder cancer, so companies have stopped using it as a sweetener.
And, actually aspartame contains an amino acid called phenylalanine that is common in the proteins of a lot of foods- but the difference is aspartame contains only the amino acid, not as it is part of a protein ...And drinking an amino acid, something you will never find in natural form in any food can't possibly be a good thing IMO.
I don't think aspartame or splenda will do much if you drink it in moderation...But I don't know how to believe that it's not addictive if all I ever crave is diet coke, and not regular coke that doesn't do the same for me.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

I am not sure what they mean by saying that aspartame will make you gain weight, there is no explanation they provide behind that either
The explanation behind it is that you're fooling your body into thinking it will be getting something sweet - sugar. It still does the things it would if it were actually given sugar instead. There's also the fact you're still going to be craving sweets and sugars - you may eat more of them in other forms or snack on carby stuff as a result. (ever craved a pop and chips?)

yourbriness763

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am addicted to Pepsi - I used to drink up to 6 cans a day but since I'm 31 my metabolism slowed down to a turtle pace & now it's all catching up to me! I've cut down to 3-4 cans a day but I can't seem to drink any less, I need my caffeine to wake me up & since I don't drink coffee I can't seem to find anything that wakes me up & keeps me up.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

That was likely caffeine withdraw - even though you were drinking coffee, without the soda you probably reduced your caffeine intake considerably. Caffeine withdraw gives the worst headaches.
That's what I thought at first too, but when I stopped drinking Diet Cokes I just went to regular cokes, same number a day plus my usual coffee. *shrugs* When I mentioned this to another Diet Coke drinker she mentioned that the aspartame could have been a factor. But maybe Diet Coke has a little more caffeine than regular? Anybody know the amount in each? Dunno....

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yourbriness763

I am addicted to Pepsi - I used to drink up to 6 cans a day but since I'm 31 my metabolism slowed down to a turtle pace & now it's all catching up to me! I've cut down to 3-4 cans a day but I can't seem to drink any less, I need my caffeine to wake me up & since I don't drink coffee I can't seem to find anything that wakes me up & keeps me up.
Some questions that made me think...
How much sleep do you get on a regular night? A week? You might benefit from more sleep?
What is your sleep schedule? Do you exercise regularly, how much? Regular exercise? How is your diet?
When was your last blood work? A visit to the doctor might be in order. Maybe you should do a sleep study.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mmm I love Diet Coke. Hubby thinks its disgusting though. I usually only max at 16-24oz every few days. If I'm eating pizza I can drink 1 or 2 cans in that sitting. At restaurants I probably will drink 1.5 glasses. I will say that I enjoy Pepsi Throwback with the natural sugar in it. Rob no longer drinks any soda with high fructose corn syrup in it unless he's splurging on Saturday and having 1-2 sodas. If he wants some during the week, he buys Throwback.

Definitely trying to drink more water, and have successfully changed over from solely drinking soda to drinking much more water.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is pepsi throwback?? I've never heard of that...
Well it's almost been 3 days and the only kind of soda I've had was a non diet dr. pepper that I had to have for the caffeine..
I haven't had any caffeine withdrawal symptoms either- no headaches.. I'm drinking a mix of 1/8 cup grape juice with the other 7/8 water...It tastes okay...

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pepsi Throwback came out earlier this year. It harkened back to when Pepsi here in the States was still made with sugar, not HFCS. And man, it was goooooodd. No artificial sweeteners, no HFCS, the only sweetener was sugar. Good old sugar. And yes, it did taste different. Better. I don't know if they continued making it after the trial run earlier this year... since I don't normally buy packs of soda, I don't go down that aisle much...

Originally Posted by ut0pia

What is pepsi throwback?? I've never heard of that...
Well it's almost been 3 days and the only kind of soda I've had was a non diet dr. pepper that I had to have for the caffeine..
I haven't had any caffeine withdrawal symptoms either- no headaches.. I'm drinking a mix of 1/8 cup grape juice with the other 7/8 water...It tastes okay...

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

Pepsi Throwback came out earlier this year. It harkened back to when Pepsi here in the States was still made with sugar, not HFCS. And man, it was goooooodd. No artificial sweeteners, no HFCS, the only sweetener was sugar. Good old sugar. And yes, it did taste different. Better. I don't know if they continued making it after the trial run earlier this year... since I don't normally buy packs of soda, I don't go down that aisle much...
Wow, being such a big soda addict I can't believe I haven't seen that on the shelves...Is the price different?

yourbriness763

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Some questions that made me think...
How much sleep do you get on a regular night? A week? You might benefit from more sleep?
What is your sleep schedule? Do you exercise regularly, how much? Regular exercise? How is your diet?
When was your last blood work? A visit to the doctor might be in order. Maybe you should do a sleep study.
I have had insomnia since I was young (teen yrs) now I'm 31 & I'm lucky to sleep 4hrs straight through, I take ambien every night which seems to help but it only works for the 1st few hours...I lay down @ 9pm fall asleep around 10-10:30pm ish when the pill kicks in & wake up around 2am & than toss & turn until 6am when it's time to get up. I go to the doctor pretty regularly but really all they suggest is more pills & that gets expensive. Exercise, don't get much of it, I'm trying to convince my boyfriend that we should get a gym membership
and as far as my diet, I eat alot which would explain the 40lb weight gain over the past 2yrs (I've been super skinny my whole life & my metabolism was super high up until I turned 29) but I'm not dangerously overweight or anything like that although if I keep up the constant eating & no exercise I will be!