A 1yo kitten has very unusual proportions and loose skin. She hasn't lost weight - only been gaining.

Le_loup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As a kitten, she hit full growth around 5 months, so l dialed her to adult food (kitten is higher calorie). Her head looks too small for her body. And her skin is "loose" I can pinch anywhere and get a good pinch of skin.

She's spayed. Likely young, when I adopted her, I didn't see any scaring etc. Vet says she's not overweight. She weighs 11 lbs. No signs of worms. I have an auto feeder so there’s good portion control. Orijen food (it’s expensive).

any idea why her body has unusual proportions? I’ve never seen a kitten that doesn’t look fit. (Black cat is my 8 yo male, neutered).

41119700-0AE6-4AA2-84F1-A1159C7A37F3.jpeg
IMG_9692.jpeg
IMG_9677.jpeg
IMG_9671.jpeg
IMG_9675.jpeg

FosterMom47

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would think that her body to head proportions is due to the mixture of breeds in her. Has she been checked for possible thyroid issues?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What did the Vet say about your question? Do they think she is out of proportion? All cats have loose skin. That enables them to become the contortionists that they are. They couldn't possibly get into all those weird positions if their skin wasn't loose. In comparing her to your black cat, their heads look the same size to me.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I honestly think that your cat is just what she is and that is it. Maybe her ancestry does play a role? If the vet didn't see an issue, then I'd go with that and be done with it. Besides, if she is 'out of proportion' but is healthy, what does it really matter? She is a cutie, with a striking pattern, regardless!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Le_loup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would think that her body to head proportions is due to the mixture of breeds in her. Has she been checked for possible thyroid issues?
Thank you, I haven’t checked thyroid. Would it present as early as 1 year old?

Le_loup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I honestly think that your cat is just what she is and that is it. Maybe her ancestry does play a role? If the vet didn't see an issue, then I'd go with that and be done with it. Besides, if she is 'out of proportion' but is healthy, what does it really matter? She is a cutie, with a striking pattern, regardless!
Oh thank you! Yeah vet said she’s perfect weight right now. My mum has two very obese cats, so part of it is me worrying that I’m not taking proper care of her. I did a wisdom DNA kit and both my cats are super mutts. No prominent breed.

Le_loup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As a kitten, she hit full growth around 5 months, so l dialed her to adult food (kitten is higher calorie). Her head looks too small for her body. And her skin is "loose" I can pinch anywhere and get a good pinch of skin.

She's spayed. Likely young, when I adopted her, I didn't see any scaring etc. Vet says she's not overweight. She weighs 11 lbs. No signs of worms. I have an auto feeder so there’s good portion control. Orijen food (it’s expensive).

any idea why her body has unusual proportions? I’ve never seen a kitten that doesn’t look fit. (Black cat is my 8 yo male, neutered).

View attachment 468519View attachment 468520View attachment 468521View attachment 468522View attachment 468523