9-year-old cat has two lumps under skin

littlezen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my nine-year-old female cat has a small lump under the skin on the right side of her back, near her spine and her rib cage. Its size is about half-inch, it is moderately soft, movable and doesn't cause her any visible discomfort when touched. I have first noticed it a year ago and it hasn't grown any bigger since then. Six months ago, I noticed another lump near the kneecap of her right front leg. Its size is less than half-inch, also relatively soft and movable under skin. I have been monitoring it closely, but it hasn't changed its size or shape. Both lumps are not visible under her fur and can only be palpated. The lump on her back can only be felt when she is laying on her side. I am not sure if she had them before. We lost her brother and litter mate to a horrible illness 18 months ago and I am increasingly anxious about her health. My cat is slightly overweight in the last two years. I know I should take her to a vet, but I don't want to cause her stress as she doesn't have any other issues. She is an indoor only cat and in a good shape. I would like to hear your opinion, could this be something serious? Thank you in advance

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, these may be benign but the only way to know is for a veterinarian to look at them.

Also, try feeding her only canned food to help with her weight :)

Try finding a cat-only vet, who will be extremely gentle. Talk to them about her stress beforehand and they may suggest something to help, along with a light towel or blanket covering the carrier.

Find a Veterinarian and Practice | The Cat Community

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. At 9yo, your cat should be seeing a vet at least once, if not twice, a year for what are called senior checkups (physical exam, full scale bloodwork, and urinalysis). 9yo is on the cusp of senior hood. The initial exam establishes a baseline that can then be compared to subsequent exams so that potential problems can be identified and monitored before they turn into full-fledged issues. Outward appearance doesn't always tell the whole story.

The size of those places on your cat would suggest some sort of cysts, which are usually benign as mentioned above. I would have suggested warts, but the way you describe them cysts seem more 'fitting'. I only mention warts because Feeby has a couple that were found several years ago when she was probably around 10yo or so. Never knew that cats could have warts!!