9 Week Old Kittens Won't Eat!

Sweettn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am fostering two kittens that are a little over 9 weeks now. I brought them into my home when they were 8 weeks old and got them their first set of shots and dewormed, the whole nine yards. For the first 5 or so days that they were in my home they ate healthily (Purina dry kitten mix 1/3 cup each day) and nothing was abnormal. But now for the past 3-5 days I've noticed puked up food/bile in the house and they are no longer eating like they were and show little to no interest in their food (but are still drinking). They are still rambunctious and playing nearly all the time and they don't act lethargic or sick. Should I be worried?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any time kittens go off their food it is an emergency situation. They should be seen by a vet as soon as possible.

My immediate guess is something with the food. Kittens that young tend to do better with wet food but the timing makes me think something in the specific food didn't agree with their systems. It can take a few days for food related issues to show up is the kitten is on a new food. But a vet really should look at them and ensure there isn't something serious going on. Also, if they have been vomiting they are at risk for dehydration so at the very least they probably need some supportive care.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Purina kibble is not the ideal food, but pet food prices are outrageous, especially wet food and no one says anything about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sweettn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Purina kibble is not the ideal food, but pet food prices are outrageous, especially wet food and no one says anything about it.
Do you think they're just expressing a distaste with their current food? I'm more than willing to buy a more expensive brand if it'll get them to eat healthily. I should note that when they went to their first vet appt they were 2.2 lbs and they haven't necessarily lost weight but they haven't gained any since either

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sweettn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any time kittens go off their food it is an emergency situation. They should be seen by a vet as soon as possible.

My immediate guess is something with the food. Kittens that young tend to do better with wet food but the timing makes me think something in the specific food didn't agree with their systems. It can take a few days for food related issues to show up is the kitten is on a new food. But a vet really should look at them and ensure there isn't something serious going on. Also, if they have been vomiting they are at risk for dehydration so at the very least they probably need some supportive care.
Thank you for the suggestion! Before I started fostering them, they lived outside in my neighborhood and my neighbors were feeding them dry food so maybe the kittens aren't enjoying the brand change? Either way I'll schedule an appt

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestion! Before I started fostering them, they lived outside in my neighborhood and my neighbors were feeding them dry food so maybe the kittens aren't enjoying the brand change? Either way I'll schedule an appt
Could be the brand change. Could be a specific ingredient isn't agreeing with them. My boy took about that amount of time to have a reaction to turkey. Now the slightest amount of turkey will cause problems so we don't feed food with turkey.