9 Months Old Pregnant Cat

Mayalolwhat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, so I have a cat/kitten (I've always considered her a kitten) that's 9 months old, she's obviously quite small since she's still so young and I have a lot of questions about her pregnancy. I know I should've spayed her already, we're planning to, we just didn't expect her to get kittens so early.

1. She's quite small, is it safe for her to give birth?

2. Okay so of course her nipples are swollen since she's pregnant but I've noticed that 2 of them aren't really swollen? Is this normal?

3. Is there any way I can know how far gone she is? We we're all kind of telling ourselves she was getting fat and ignored the possibility that the might be pregnant, plus we were focused on our other pregnant cat at the time (also planning on spaying her)

4. She started producing milk around 3-4 days ago, that's a sign she's close to going into labor, right?

Overall she's healthy and happy, I'm just concerned since she's so young, any answers would be helpful! Thanks in advance!

Here's some photos.
IMG_5134.JPG
IMG_5133.JPG

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Her age and size make the pregnancy very risky. It sounds like she is close but exactly how close is questionable. Pay close attention when she does start labor because there is a higher risk of birthing complications. If you think something is going wrong based on your experience with your other cat please take her to a vet ASAP.

Also you probably should have some KMR or raw goat's milk plus syringes/bottles on hand. Young mother's sometimes don't mother as well so you need to be prepared to take over caring for the kittens if needed. KMR or raw goat's milk is also a good nutritional boost for nursing mom's so if you don't need it for the kittens you can offer some to her.

Both your femals can get pregnant again while nursing so they need to be kept away from males and spayed as soon as the kittens are weaned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mayalolwhat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Young mother's sometimes don't mother as well so you need to be prepared to take over caring for the kittens if needed.

If this were to happen, could my other cat take care of the kittens? Her kittens are currently 13 days old.

Mayalolwhat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
okay that last reply got a little messed up, Im not used to forums.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It would depend on if she'd accept the other litter and the size of the two litters. Since they are the same household risk of disease transmission would be low.

But a two week age gap would require significant supervision along with daily weighing to ensure that all the kittens are gaining weight. If there are more than two or three kittens in the new litter the other Mom may not be producing enough milk to sustain them all, so supplemental nursing help would be needed. Even with a smaller new litter, if not all her nipples are producing milk and her kittens have preferred nipples it could cause problems.

Bottom line would be, maybe if she accepts them and there are few kittens in the new litter. But you'd want to mointor all the kittens for weight gain and still may need to help out with at least the feeding.

Mayalolwhat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, thank you!

She's currently laying on my lap, she seems calm but sometimes she lets out a meow which isnt very common for her and she might just be calm because I'm here. She's extremely affectionate but she's always been, but there is no discharge. So I'm trying to figure out if she's going into labor soon or not.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Usually there will be some kitten movement within a few days of giving birth. Think of it as all the kittens lining up to be born. She will also get more intent on nesting and stop eating shortly before giving birth. If she takes comfort in you, sometimes nesting can be wanting to be on you nonstop because she's scared and you are safe.

Mayalolwhat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Once again, thank you, she's just laying on the floor right now back to normal so I don't think its time yet

Mayalolwhat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She gave birth to a kitten around 1-3AM (its currently 9:30AM) and I can feel at least one more kitten in there, I can even feel it move at times, but nothing is happening, she's not even pushing, Ive heard it could be normal but does it usually take this long? I was asleep during the actual birth although some of my family members was awake to take care of her.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, long pauses are common. She is fine as long a she isn’t actively pushing with no result for more than 30 minutes.

Are you able to keep her 100% inside and away from intact males now? Cats can get pregnant again within a week of delivery. And yes, kittens can get pregnant as early as 4 or 5 months old.

Mayalolwhat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Second kitten was just born 2 minutes ago!

Mayalolwhat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Third is out! She's doing wonderful and shes taking care of the kittens!

Mayalolwhat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dont think there's any more kittens so here you all go, here's my beautiful kittens!
IMG_5155.JPG

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great! Please weigh them daily, and please be sure to keep mom inside.

We’d be happy to help you to find a low-cost spay clinics in a few weeks if you’d like.