8wk Old Kitten Using Clumping Litter?

lgm445

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there!!

I recently got a new 8wk old kitten named Luna. The vet told me to buy non-clumping litter for Luna and she explained to me the health risks that clumping litter can cause for kittens. So, I bought Luna non-clumping litter and she seemed to use it for a couple days but since she sees my 2yr old cat Leo using his litter box (which is clumping) she uses Leo’s litter box instead of her own. The most she’ll do with the non-clumping litter is pee in it. But she will go poop in Leo’s litter box. My question is, should I try to get her to use the non-clumping litter or should I just leave her as is? If so, how do I get her to use the non-clumping litter? I also see no signs of her eating the clumping litter.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't see signs of her eating it but as soon as she does and you don't see it...... I would temporarily switch them both to non clumping to be safe.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would, too. Better safe than an emergency trip to the vet to surgically remove a clump of litter from a kitten tummy! And they will do it the minute your back is turned, VERY like a human toddler!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
8 weeks is still really young, so probably go with your vet's advice and stick with the non-clumping. And either keep her away from your other cat's litter box, or switch it too to non-clumping litter.

It's possible she might be one of those cats who likes to pee in one litter box and poop in another, so maybe try putting out another little litter box for her.