8 week pregnant rescue

S2X1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello guys this is my first post here. My cat is around 8 weeks pregnant and she is vomiting. Her belly is lower and less on the sides and she is not eating. It’s odd for her to deny food. I wouldn’t be able to spot discharge or anything because shed probably clean it up too quick. I’m afraid that she will birth her kittens prematurely. Any advice would help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

S2X1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to add on that I’ve felt her kittens kick her for a while. They are visible even though she is long haired. I can usually feel them when they kick her. It’s very frequent.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do they still kick vigorously? If so she has probably not dropped...
Difficult to say much; cats nearing delivery, usually drops; and have often a bad appetite and or vomite some... (idea: may it be nausea? I havent heard high pregs have nausea, but who knows?)

In normal pregnancy this is common, but she CAN of course become ill although she is preg... And perhaps lose some weight because of being ill...

How sure ARE you on 8 weeks? Could it be 9 weeks?

Good if you give her at least water. Entice some food? Perhaps kmr or goats milk?? These two are also fluids..

S S2X1

S2X1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do they still kick vigorously? If so she has probably not dropped...
Difficult to say much; cats nearing delivery, usually drops; and have often a bad appetite and or vomite some... (idea: may it be nausea? I havent heard high pregs have nausea, but who knows?)

In normal pregnancy this is common, but she CAN of course become ill although she is preg... And perhaps lose some weight because of being ill...

How sure ARE you on 8 weeks? Could it be 9 weeks?

Good if you give her at least water. Entice some food? Perhaps kmr or goats milk?? These two are also fluids..

S S2X1

S2X1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, thanks for your reply. The pregnancy duration is an estimate but I don’t think it could be 9 weeks yet. I couldn’t feel her babies kick today but I might try again later. She is super sleepy and she vomited towards the beginning of her pregnancy just before I realised she was pregnant and she did it again today. My cat is not that big I think she’s around 1 or maybe older. Her stomach changes shape and size a lot too. She was huge and round yesterday but today her stomach isn’t as round. Also, I just wanted to ask if you know where KMR or another alternative to that is sold in England. I found some on Amazon that would take a long time to come and they were very overpriced.

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, I just wanted to ask if you know where KMR or another alternative to that is sold in England. I found some on Amazon that would take a long time to come and they were very overpriced.
I'd try calling your local vet. Even if they don't sell kitten formula themselves, they should be able to tell you where/which brand to get. I'm not in England, but I use Royal Canin Babycat Milk. It's a European brand so will probably be stocked near you.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You may also use full fat goat milk, but pet shops should carry kitten milk replacement formula. It sounds like your cat is very close to going into labor. Some cats go off their food at the very end. Keep a close watch on her and call your vet if she continues to be sick or seems in distress. Keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'd try calling your local vet. Even if they don't sell kitten formula themselves, they should be able to tell you where/which brand to get. I'm not in England, but I use Royal Canin Babycat Milk. It's a European brand so will probably be stocked near you.
Right. And for this question you dont necessarily need to talk with the vet. The assistand or even receptionist will probably know too where to get kmr...

Try also with some local farmers, they should know if somebody has goats and can sell some raw goats milk....
But powdered or somewhat processed goats milk you can sometime find in usual food shops supermarket style.

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
KMR should always be first choice, since it has the correct nutritional profile for kittens. Other milks have half the fat, protein, and total energy provided by cat milk (see table 2: protein is 75 g/L in cat milk vs 35 g/L in goat milk; fat is 85 g/L cat vs 38 g/L goat; energy is 1210 Kcal/L cat vs 690 Kcal/L goat; calcium is 1.8 g/L cat vs 1.3 g/L goat). Goat milk is fine in a pinch, but shouldn't be used longterm.
Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 4.00.31 PM.png

S2X1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello guys. I’ve been really worried about one of my newborn kittens. They all sneeze occasionally but one of them sneezes a lot. I’ve been really scared because one of their siblings died after birth. My vet is closed and they will open on Tuesday so I will take them then but should I be super concerned? They have no other symptoms and the house isn’t really that cold. They have a heated blanket in their nest. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep them separated til they can be tested. Are they from a foster or strays you rescued?

S2X1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are children of a rescue cat. They’re all slightly sneezing. Earlier one of them was sneezing a lot. Right now it’s fine they’re all wrapped up but I am stil very very worried about them.

S2X1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also tested for what, respiratory infection or something? That’s kinda what I’m worried for. I read that if it’s just sneezing and no other symptoms it’s fine but like an hour ago he sneezed like 7 times in a row. No sneezing right now though. They are sleeping happily. My sister wants to call someone tomorrow, well later today and see if they suggest anything to help.

S2X1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah their mum is with them. The sneezing has stopped but they’ll probably randomly sneeze tomorrow sometime. The vet is closed but I’m gonna check around to see if there’s any place to call tomorrow. Thank you for your help btw. I’m always worried about the kittens because they lost their sibling who died a few days ago.

S2X1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that my cat has fleas. I am going to call the vet when It opens but for now do you think frontline plus flea treatment is okay for a nursing cat. I don’t want the situation to get worse or for the babies to get sick.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Frontline plus will be fine if applied between her shoulder blades. Your vet may also want to give you a Capstar tablet for her which will cause the fleas to jump off and die. You’ll want to change the bedding in the nest daily for the next few days and wash it in hot water to kill any eggs and larvae. Mom should also get a Droncit tablet to kill any tapeworms. The Droncit should be repeated in 7-10 days to get the life cycle.

Vacuum the room and house and use a flea comb on the babies. All this should help!