8 week kitten

Keleigh4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in two (2) kittens that were 5 weeks old (so I was told) because the shelter cannot bottle feed and the rescues are full. The woman who had them said the mama went outside and was hit by a car after giving birth. I've bottle fed three (3) kittens I found in my boat before that were roughly 3 weeks old when found without any issues. The two (2) I got a few weeks ago are now 8 weeks old and one of them has been eating wet food since I got her, plus I do give her a bit of milk (PetLac kitten milk replacement) if she wants it. She does have good energy. She is a bit smaller than her sister. But she refuses to eat wet food. She shows zero interest. I've tried Fancy Feast kitten and Royal Canin kitten. I have been mixing one or the other in with her milk, that I feed through a syringe, so she is getting more calories than just KMR alone. Weirdly she likes shredded cheese that I gave my grown cats as a little snack one day. Any suggestions on how to get her interested in wet food so I can stop the milk feedings?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Keleigh4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I realize my post is confusing because I got up in the middle of writing and didn't proof read. One kitten eats well. The other will only drink KMR, which I add the kitten wet pate into it. The one that is strictly on the syringe feedings is the one, obviously, that shows no interest in wet food and suggestions would be great appreciated.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gerber makes baby food, just the meat, no funny additives... This is often used as beginning food for kittens.
Here in Sweden we often use minced meat, from cows or sheeps - not pork, raw pork may be dangerous for cats - "Auesky"? disease

Perhaps Give her from your fingers to lick off?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that baby food — turkey or chicken meat only — is a good place to start. My other thought is that this kitten may not quite be ready, regardless of size, to wean. Give it time!