8 Days No Stool

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jack had 2 teeth pulled and cleaning. He didn't eat well 2 days prior due to pain. Today he's s day 6 after surgery and 2 days before make 8. I'm giving miralax 1 teasp a day with lots of wet food. Called get he said give him 8 or ,,,9 days if none he will papitate to see if constipated. He eats well drinks and pees. I'm scared. The vet said could take a longer after surgery. No pain meds just antibiotic shot and steroid shot. Tomorrow is 7 days after surgery and Total of nine since last. Has ANYONE had this happen. For 2 days yesterday and today he produced a tiny bit of loose stool and today 1 little thin short with about inch round diarreah. I am giving today also 10 drops of olive oil in wet food. Someone please reply

leechi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might want to take him to another vet for their opinion. I don't know why your vet would want to wait so long to treat the constipation. I'd be worried too. You might also want to give probiotics. Antibiotics can kill the helpful gut bacterial and cause constipation. You can use the capsule kind for people and sprinkle it over his food.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A probiotic would be excellent. My cat gets some every day, and if she doesn't, she starts getting constipated.

If your cat's appetite slows down dramatically, that is a sign that constipation has gotten serious and the cat needs to go to a vet right away. Hopefully you can catch things before then. Obviously the surgery has messed with digestion so it is hard to say what is normal at this point, but I would feel more comfortable having a vet at least do a physical exam. 7 days is a long time to go without a bowel movement.

It's not unusual for a small amount of diarrhea to accompany constipation-any soft-ish stool get squeezed out around the lump of hard stool in the colon and will look like diarrhea.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he's not eating normally, his output will be less, but 8 days is way too long without poop. Is it possible he's going somewhere else? Is he throwing up? I would think if he was terribly constipated, he would be throwing up after eating. You can also add some plain canned pumpkin puree to his wet food to help him pass stool easier and soften it. I would get him to the vet for an x-ray to see if he's impacted or clear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
[QUthi=mp OTEof OTEietx, post: 4718603, member: 15189"]If he's not eating normally, his output will be less, but 8 days is way too long without poop. Is it possible he's going somewhere else? Is he throwing up? I would think if he was terribly constipated, he would be throwing up after eating. You can also add some plain canned pumpkin puree to his wet food to help him pass stool easier and soften it. I would get him to the vet for an x-ray to see if he's impacted or clear.[/QUOTE]
If he's not eating normally, his output will be less, but 8 days is way too long without poop. Is it possible he's going somewhere else? Is he throwing up? I would think if he was terribly constipated, he would be throwing up after eating. You can also add some plain canned pumpkin puree to his wet food to help him pass stool easier and soften it. I would get him to the vet for an x-ray to see if he's impacted or clear.
This morning he passed a medium size round clump of stool. Thought it was a small urine clump but examined it. STOOL! IT WAS REG BROWN COLOR NOT DARK AND NOT REAL FIRM BUT THICK. I CRIED. SO GLAD TO SEE IT. CALLING VET TO SEE HOW LONG I CAN CONTINUE MIRALAX. WHAT STRENGTH AND BRAND OF PROBIOTIC TO GIVE HIM. DO YOU THING THE STOOL NOT BEING DARK LIKE OLD IS GOOD

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antibiotics can certainly change stool color, so that's not cause for alarm. I would recommend any of the pet probiotics you can pick up at your average pet store, or a human probiotic with acidophilus and a high CFU count (in the billions). Sprinkling the powder on food (opening the capsule if it comes as pills) is easiest for me. Most cats don't mind or notice the taste.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure he stays hydrated (canned food, & have lots of water around for him to access)!

Cats can often get a bit constipated after certain anesthesia meds are used...
Constipation after dental surgery?

To me, though, 8-9 days of no solid poo is not good! -(although you said he had some minor runny stool, so there is that)-
2-3 days would worry me, not to mention 8 days!
Glad he is beginning to poo again!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get some pumpkin puree into his food. Pumpkin will both firm up diarrhea and get constipation moving. About a teaspoon of pure pumpkin puree a day. Make sure there's no additional ingredients. You're unstopping a cat, not baking a pie.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Get some pumpkin puree into his food. Pumpkin will both firm up diarrhea and get constipation moving. About a teaspoon of pure pumpkin puree a day. Make sure there's no additional ingredients. You're unstopping a cat, not baking a pie.[/QUOTE Hes
unstopped loose but now after ,u days his eye is watery and he's sneezing. A cold upper respiratory. I'm thinking it was all the stress. Will it get better after a few days? I do have anyibiotic eye ointment all though expired
If gh! It's gonna add to his stress to go back where he was in pain and handled 8 days ago. Should I just let him be till the week end to see

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. If he's showing signs of a respiratory infection, don't wait. Take him back. You both will feel worse if this doesn't get better and you could have caught it days ago like today. Don't delay care because you think it would be stressful. The longer you wait, the more stressful the visit and treatment may be.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No. If he's showing signs of a respiratory infection, don't wait. Take him back. You both will feel worse if this doesn't get better and you could have caught it days ago like today. Don't delay care because you think it would be stressful. The longer you wait, the more stressful the visit and treatment may be.
He's going in today water eye blinking it and sneezing. Probably the stress of extractions but I love him so much. My vets also palpitating his stomach for stool. He is moving but small diarreah 1 time a day not all day.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The diarrhea is most likely from the antibiotic. It isn't discriminating between good bacteria and bad bacteria. Good bacteria is needed in his gut to do some secondary digestion. Without it, those food stuffs just shoot right out unprocessed.

Ask the vet about a probiotic or you can order one from Vitality Science (Pet Flora.) They've got a good one that's soil-based that survives the stomach before it's released where it needs to be. Good stuff. Made my cat's stinky IBD poo much less stinky. Her poo will never win an award but her bombs don't bomb out the entire apartment anymore.

The probiotics may not have an effect while he's still on the antibiotics. And if you give too much probiotics, you can cause diarrhea. Get the pumpkin in his food for now and start the probiotics just as soon as you finish the antibiotics. Pumpkin will work for both constipation and diarrhea.

Last edited: