8.5 weeks

CatsMumRL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should a mum have weaned her babies completely off her by this age? (8.5 weeks)

He’s eating wet and dry food, has been for a month now. He’s using the litter tray but she will still occasionally lick him like they do when they’re tiny to get them to “go” and she still lets him feed on her.

Many years ago when we had a litter their mum was done with them by 5-6 weeks, she didn’t want them near her so this is all new to me. Previous babies I’ve had have been born to feral mums so they’ve not had their mums around from 3-5 weeks onwards.

Wondering if this is ok or should I try and put some space between them?!

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
No, that's fine. I've known kittens continue to nurse off their mothers until 5 months old. As long as he is eating solid food and mum is getting plenty to eat too it won't do either of them any harm to allow them to continue. Has the mother cat been spayed yet? If not you need to get that done ASAP, as she will come into heat again really soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ha! The pregnant stray I adopted some years back nursed all 4 of her kittens for months. It was for comfort as she was spayed when the kittens were 8 weeks old and her milk began to dry up.

It’s not only fine, but I think kittens who get 12 weeks or more with mom tend to be more secure. And Mom will surely let her kitten know if she’s done nursing.

Agree — spay asap!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Third-ing the spay! 😀 If it isn't your cat, there are places that do inexpensive spay/neuters too.