7 week old kitten won’t drink water

Alexism98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my kitten Teddy is about 7 weeks, he eats a little more than half a can of wet food four times a day. I’ve tried so many times to get him to drink water but he has no interest in it, a few times he has gone down to the bowl and ended up sniffing water up his nose and I guess it spooked him and he doesn’t want to try again. One time I made some of his leftover kitten formula and he actually lapped some of that up and I was so excited. I’ve tried again since then to just get him used to the motion of drinking but he won’t do it again. I add some water to his wet food to make sure he doesn’t get dehydrated, he pees 4-5 times a day so I don’t think he is dehydrated. But I’m just so nervous about him possibly becoming so. What can I do to teach him to drink?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not all cats drink water and if they eat only wet food they should be getting all they need. You could try buying a fountain, putting ice cubes in the water, leaving a tap dripping. As you are adding water to his food, he should be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alexism98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not all cats drink water and if they eat only wet food they should be getting all they need. You could try buying a fountain, putting ice cubes in the water, leaving a tap dripping. As you are adding water to his food, he should be fine.
Okay thank you! My other cats all eat dry food and drink water so I just wasn’t sure. I’ve also never had a cat this young (found him abandoned at 2 weeks old) so I tend to freak out at every little thing.

SundaesPerson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats typically don't drink copious amounts of water anyway. With his diet, he doesn't really need it, which is likely why he's disinterested in it. You can always leave fresh water out every day as well. If he wants some, he'll sip it. 😀