7 Month Old Pregnant

Wicatdaddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that my 7 month old kitten sasha may have gotten pregnant by my 17 month old boy Lando Meowrissian I'm a seasoned cat owner but this is a whole new ball game.

What im wondering is if she is pregnant will she and the kittens survive?

What kind of complications will she have after birth, if any?

I'm basically looking for any and all advice to make her unfortunately early journey to motherhood as easy as possible. Needless to say I'm one very worried cat daddy.

I've uploaded a picture of sasha(black) and Lando Meowrissian(grey and white)

(If you're wondering why they weren't separated, they were but I'm thinking my 4 year old stepdaughter left the basement door open)

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wicatdaddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you decide to let her have her babies, you really should neuter the boy. Has he started spraying urine everywhere yet? It's no fun believe me.
Money to neuter him isnt the issue, my last baby girl I had died from an infection 3 days after surgery.... so I'm honestly scared af to do any surgeries on my babies unless its life threatening...

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Money to neuter him isnt the issue, my last baby girl I had died from an infection 3 days after surgery.... so I'm honestly scared af to do any surgeries on my babies unless its life threatening...
I can understand that but if they are not fixed, you are going to have a houseful of kittens before you know it - and as Jen mentioned, the boys are going to spray. If you've never experienced that, you don't want to. The smell is downright awful.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can totally see why you are nervous about it. It is so VERY rare for that to happen. I am so sorry you had to go through it. It really is best for their health though overall. Perhaps there was a reason why the other cat passed away to infection. Maybe there were underlying health issues? If you tell the vet to do bloodwork before hand and just keep the cats as calm as possible after you should be ok. If you didn't plan to neuter the cats can I ask (please don't take this the wrong way) but why did you get a female when you already had an intact male? I am curious what the thought was because eventually the girl would get pregnant. I know you didn't expect it so young, but what was the plan here? Again, I mean no offense I am just curious. If they have kittens, he will also impregnate the females, along with the mother cat again almost right away after giving birth... it can turn into a nightmare real quick.

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can understand that you are afraid to spay/neuter after that. But believe me, the risks of spaying and neutering are very rare. The least you can do is get your male cat neutered. There are few to no risks with that. It will give him a long, happy, and healthy life :) After the kitten are weaned you should get Mama spayed ASAP :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had well over 50 cats neutered and spayed and have not lost any, so complications are very rare. Rarer even more now that you know what to look for in infection/complications from surgery. Most cats are given antibiotics after surgery, and there are antibiotic injections you can ask about too. Saying that, I HAVE had two cats die from giving birth and having complications, both feral and I was unable to help them in time. I have had ferals give birth at 6 months with no problems, first litters are usually small and uneventful.
Yes I do recommend having that boy neutered. He will have urges and be unsettled for the rest of his life. He is just at the age right now that spraying, yowling, and trying to escape and roam will become a priority in his life.Neutering is very safe, all of my boys are back to normal within one day. Spaying is a little more complicated, but you can always stay in touch with the vet and bring in photos on your phone to show him if you are concerned. I would definitely recommend an antibiotic injection if you are concerned.
Don't let your fear dictate your life. You have to think of what is better for your little ones, what will give them the best life possible. Not dwell on things that will most likely never happen, like lightning hitting twice. We are here to help you through all this, please keep us posted!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To chime in with di and bob, I too have had well over 50 cats spayed or neutered. I used to live in a college town where cats were dumped constantly and I worked at a shelter that hosted neuter clinics and I always trapped them and brought them in. Never had any complications. Never did bloodwork either as they were strays I was mostly releasing. You really did stumble on a fluke with your poor cat who didn't make it. Again, I am so sorry you went through that.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might think too what is in your future. Your poor little girl will go in and out of heat until she gets bred. And your poor male will be driven crazy having her that close. And as you saw, it will be impossible to keep her from getting pregnant. I had a little feral mama that had three pregnancies and 17 kittens in one year, getting pregnant when her one litter was only about a week old. Are you prepared to find GOOD homes for all the kittens? It is never ending!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that you lost your other cat to an infection. I can certainly understand your fear, but the risks are much higher if you do not get them fixed. And, as di and bob di and bob said, you would be in for years fo finding good homes for all the kittens. The average is thee litters a year with four kittens in each litter. With an average lifespan being 15 years, that is 172 kittens, if we only calculate one litter for her first year. 43 pregnancies that are riskier than a single surgery. (Two surgeries if you get them both fixed.)

I am also in the 50+ surgery club. Every cat lived and had no complications. I had one of my kittens die from a rare reaction to his vaccines. I still get my cats vaccinated. (They are indoor only, but my county will quarantine a cat for 10 days. A small bit at the vet that led to cat scratch fever and a late rabies shot led to one of ours being quarantined.)