7 days postnatal & mom is lethargic - HELP

Acatmoma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Queen Poppy gave birth to 6 beautiful kittens on April 14th. She’s a wonderful mother, and kittens are gaining 10+ grams a day.

This morning I went to check on her and she wasn’t with her kittens. We found her under our bed, she wouldn’t come to me or her kittens calling.

I had to physically move the bed to get her out and she felt extremely warm to the touch. No purring or normal behaviour. I was able to feel two very large inflamed teats, leads me to think she has mastitis.

She won’t lay or nurse kittens, just wants to be in a dark place. Of course we called the vet and we have an apt within the hour.

- Poppy, ragamese shorter hair, just under 2years old, first litter of kittens.

-No discharge coming from vagina since kitten were born 7 days ago

- very healthy appetite as of 10pm last night, just under 12hrs ago from post time

- everyone gaining 10+ grams a day

-She’s always with kittens, purring and seeking affection from our family

- normal bathroom-ing routine, no diarrhea

What do we do?? What do we need to have ready?? Any advice is welcome 🙏

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Vet will start her on antibiotics. Put warm damp compresses on her infected mammaries for relief. Vet should also give her anti-inflammatory meds.

Buy powdered kitten formula and pick up 1-2mL syringes from a pharmacy and begin feeding the kittens every 2 hours around the clock until mom feels better in a couple of days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Acatmoma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet started poppy on antibiotics and gave pain meds for 3 days.

yesterday was first day without pain meds and Poppy spiked another fever. Vet still isn’t sure what exactly is happening.

Acatmoma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Clavamox chew tabs 125mg / .5 tabs x2 daily for 7 days

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Clavamox should be clearing her infection. Normally cats are given tablets to swallow. Are you sure she is eating them? If not, this may explain why she is not getting better. Usually, cats will turn the corner for better after the third day. She may need to be pilled a swallow tablet instead of a chew tablet, or she may need something stronger to swallow such as ciprofloxacin. Check with your vet.

Acatmoma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Clavamox should be clearing her infection. Normally cats are given tablets to swallow. Are you sure she is eating them? If not, this may explain why she is not getting better. Usually, cats will turn the corner for better after the third day. She may need to be pilled a swallow tablet instead of a chew tablet, or she may need something stronger to swallow such as ciprofloxacin. Check with your vet.
Thank you for all the input!! I’d love to solve this mystery fever. I’ve been pulling Poppy to ensure she takes the medication. She’s not happy when I do it but it’s for the best! Today is day 5, I haven’t given her the onsior 6mg yet, and she seems okay. I am going to give her that right before bed to ensure she’s comfortable again tomorrow for day 6 of antibiotics.

Do you know much about Milk Fever??Could she be tiltering on the verge of that??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she is low on calcium, immediately begin giving her a dish of kitten formula at least twice a day. She needs the extra calcium daily regardless of anything else - through her nursing days.