64 Day Pregnant Himalayan

lldoyle84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody! My girl, Penelope, is at day 64 of her 1st and probably only litter. I am 100% sure of the date, she was only bred once and it was a planned breeding. I am so nervous and mostly just need some reassurance. I work at a vet and the veterinarian is taking one of the kittens so this is probably one of the most vet monitored pregnancies ever. She has been physically examined and palpated, she's had multiple ultrasounds and has been x-rayed. She has been pretty constipated so we can't get much of a view of the kittens, all we can tell for sure is that there's definitely one live kitten, we don't know if there's more but her belly stayed pretty small and she's a petite cat so I can't imagine many more kittens could be in there. She's really fluffy but you definitely wouldn't know she was pregnant just by looking at her. So day 64 of a very small litter, is that normal? She is a Himalayan but she's a doll face so she doesn't have that smushed in face. She's otherwise very healthy and extremely attached to me. Since I work at a vet I feel like I should be more prepared but this cat is like my child (I do actually have a human child as well) and I'm so nervous. Do 1st litters tend to come earlier or later or it the same for a more experienced cat? I have her separated from the other 2 cats and the dog, she's pretty happy being on her own in my bedroom, she seems to prefer it. I have set up multiple nesting boxes and she seems really happy and relaxed. Does anyone have any advice or stories that can help me relax?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Take a deep breath. It's normal for cats to go 68 or even 70 days, and it's better for a kitten not to be premature.

You can add a few drops of olive oil to her wet food to help with the constipation.

At some point your cat should begin showing signs of impending labor: discharge, unable to get comfortable, contractions.

Since she's not very big and she's fluffy, it may not be as obvious with her.

:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lldoyle84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has been tearing around my room just racing around my room, which is unusual for her even as a kitten she was always really mellow. Is this something other pregnant cats do or is it just her burning off some energy? I know right before I went into labor with my daughter I got a big spurt of energy
Take a deep breath. It's normal for cats to go 68 or even 70 days, and it's better for a kitten not to be premature.

You can add a few drops of olive oil to her wet food to help with the constipation.

At some point your cat should begin showing signs of impending labor: discharge, unable to get comfortable, contractions.

Since she's not very big and she's fluffy, it may not be as obvious with her.

:)

lldoyle84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Even though I am positive on the date of mating I know it can take up to 2 weeks for the egg to actually get fertilized so I don't know if she's getting somewhat close or if we have 2 more weeks of waiting. Is it common to take that long or is that rare? I would ask my boss but she is gone this week and I am not a fan of the other vet in our practice.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The act of mating stimulates ovulation in cats if they are not already in heat, so fertilization generally occurs in the next 24 hours or so.

Most cats deliver by about 68 days, but it's never precise. I always say give or take a couple of days.

I would think she was having a hormonally induced energy spurt! :)

lldoyle84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat just had her first ever kitten tonight at around 9:30 it's now 11:15 and while she's cleaned the kitten a lot but I haven't seen it nurse yet. The kitten wants to but the mother only wants to be where I am. She keeps walking away and leaving the kitten exposed until I put her back. I think there's another kitten coming but is it normal for cats to not care about the kittens at first because she's in pain with the labor from the next one. Or should I be concerned here? Please help, I need advice.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stay with mom in the room with her nest. She obviously wants you close. Mom's often ignore their kittens while they are laboring.

lldoyle84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Stay with mom in the room with her nest. She obviously wants you close. Mom's often ignore their kittens while they are laboring.
I am only about 2 feet away. I've been with her non stop for about 3 hours now but I had to take a bit of a break but she seems much more concerned about me instead of her kitten.

lldoyle84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A
Also she can still see me from where I am.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Moms usually let kittens nurse between deliveries if there is time. Encourage this. The kitten also needs to stay warm.

lldoyle84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you to everyone but unfortunately the kitten didn't make it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ouch. RIP little one.

Possibly momma felt something was amiss. A healthy kittens doesnt die in a few hours just because its not enough cared for. Unless its very much too chilly or very much too warm. They are fragile but not that fragile.

Possibly a vigorous action could have save it - but we cant know it. As there was apparently something amiss here.

Observe, Momma MAY have more kittens to deliver - so continue to observe and be waiting calmly.

Thank you to everyone but unfortunately the kitten didn't make it.