6 y.o. cat high K+, but normal Crea and BUN levels?

pabatlevi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 6 y.o. female cat had her annual check up yesterday and blood chemistry results are almost fine. Only potassium level is elevated (6.48 mmol/l in a 3.00-5.30 range) but creatinine and BUN levels are in normal ranges!
What could be the problem?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is your cat demonstrating any of the signs of having a high potassium level? What did the vet say about it? It can be due to a few things, including urinary tract issues, such as a UTI. It can also be caused by a diet that is high in potassium. Usually, until a cause can be determined, a saline solution of fluids is used to help bring the level down, as it will help rid the body of excess potassium through increased urination. Is your cat peeing normally?

Here is an article that discusses high potassium levels in cats, including causes and treatments, should that help you any.
High Potassium in Cats – Hyperkalemia | Pet Care Advisors

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pabatlevi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
everything about our cat is normal. pees normally, eats normally, poops everyday almost at the same time, playful. this was just an annual check up to see if there's anything that can't be seen with naked eye.
BUT I'm starting to doubt if we could prepare our cat in the right away before the bloodwork or not- she ate about half an hour before, drank very little before. and it was a very hot and humid day. I dunno. Could these affect bloodwork results?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dehydration could also play a role to a degree, but eating shortly before should have also impacted other values as well, if there was going to be an impact to begin with. Other values can also be affected by dehydration too.

Again, what did the vet say about it? It is high enough, that they should have said something to you. If they did, and you told them that nothing else is abnormal about your cat, maybe they are considering it a fluke. But, nonetheless, I would think they would want to redo the bloodwork in the near future to see. I don't typically fast my cat for blood work, and the vet seems OK with this. But doing so one time, and not the next can affect values beyond just potassium.

Many years ago, my cat's blood work showed a higher-than-normal calcium level, but most everything else was in range. A recheck was done later, and her calcium level was back in range. So, I suppose the same thing could apply to most any of the values in blood work.

You might want to check the potassium level in her food - especially if you have made any food changes since her last blood work was done.

pabatlevi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
vet said it coud be related to kidney function but since other values were in range, he wasn't so certain about it. He said dehydration might affect the results in general too.
she's been on virbac neutered entire cat salmon for the last 11 months. little to no wet food, no snacks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I also want to mention that my cat's potassium level is high this time too, but not as high as your cat. My cat has CKD Stage 3, but the values for creatinine and BUN are the same as they were in January, when her potassium was in range. She does receive sub-Q fluids which do contain a level of potassium, but we believe she also has a UTI that might be impacting the potassium level, which we are now treating. She has no signs of a UTI, so I would not have known if it weren't for doing a urinalysis as part of her vet appt.

pabatlevi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh, her complete blood count levels are totally ok as well :) I really don't know what to think.
Crea and BUN levels being in normal is definitely confusing.
unfortunately vet couldnt do an urinalysis because she peed during ultrasound examination.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If your cat is very thin the creatinine won’t be elevated. Was the bloodwork sent to the lab or done in house. Either way, I would recheck it. That is high and it might be a lab error, or it warrants investigation. Also, with chronic kidney disease you need a 70% loss of function before the creatinine is elevated on bloodwork. But still the potassium being that high doesn’t add up. I would recheck it. If done at the lab, they should repeat with the same sample they have at no charge if the vet asks. At least Antech and IDEXX will, last I knew.