6 Week Old Kittens - Need Advice

Nothanks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi so my grandad has had a cat that has given birth to 5 kittens right and I'm keeping one of them.
They're currently 6 weeks old and we're all aware that kittens shouldn't be taken away from their mothers until 8-12 weeks. But there's kind of an issue and I'm really not sure how to get around it.

My grandad has a heap of mental issues and gets stressed veeery easily - he's had 2 suicide attempts in the past. Now taking care of the mother AND her kittens has proven difficult for him, I'm not really sure to what extent; no one is really telling me, but my mum said we will have to pick up the kitten early. This Sunday actually.

I keep saying that we shouldn't pick her up early but my mum said we don't really have any other choice.

Doesn't anyone have any advice on:

- How to get around this situation
Or if we do end up picking up the kitten

- How to feed it properly [I'm not an expert but from what I heard they won't be fully weaned] I'm not really sure how to support this transition & what to feed them exactly

- How to introduce her to my older male cat, he's like 11 human years old now and I have no idea how he'll react since he's never been introduced to a kitten before - he has to other male cats and it took him a few days to get used to them but they were adults. He also gets into a lot of fights with stranger cats that he meets in the neighborhood so I'm a little bit scared about that

Any advice or warnings would be great - I'm really scared about picking her up early :(

[Added pictures from when they were a few weeks old bc they're ADORABLE]

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your resident is too a kitten ofabout 6 months?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your current cat neutered? Vaccinated? Treated for fleas?

Can you help your grandfather to spay his cat? That would reduce a lot of stress.

Could you take two kittens? That would help them to adjust.

When you get yhenkitten, it will need to stay in one kitten-proofed room with several shallow litter box options. Use only non-clumping litter. You will need to give constant access to dry kitten food, and 4 or so meals of wet food a day.

The kitten should not go outside at all until it is fully vaccinated, spayed or neutered, and around 9 months old.

Keeping your cats inside will help to keep them safe, help them to integrate well, and prolong their lives.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nothanks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is your current cat neutered? Vaccinated? Treated for fleas?

Can you help your grandfather to spay his cat? That would reduce a lot of stress.

Could you take two kittens? That would help them to adjust.

When you get yhenkitten, it will need to stay in one kitten-proofed room with several shallow litter box options. Use only non-clumping litter. You will need to give constant access to dry kitten food, and 4 or so meals of wet food a day.

The kitten should not go outside at all until it is fully vaccinated, spayed or neutered, and around 9 months old.

Keeping your cats inside will help to keep them safe, help them to integrate well, and prolong their lives.
My cat is neutered I'm not really sure about vaccinations but I'm pretty sure he is.

Thank you so much for this help!
I'll see if we can take two of the kittens.
I have one more question just about feeding, will she still need access to her mother's milk or something?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Is there any way you could take care of the mother cat and all of her kittens until they are ready to go to new homes? They would need to be kept in a room away from your other cat, but just one small room would be OK for them. It would be much better for the cats and for your grand father. Little kittens are a lot of work! I can understand why he gets stressed out.

Make sure the kittens are kept away from your other cat until they have been vaccinated. My vet vaccinates when the kittens get to 600 grams, or around 8 weeks old.

You can get the mother cat spayed now. Do you need help finding a cheap spay and neuter clinic in your area?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nothanks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there any way you could take care of the mother cat and all of her kittens until they are ready to go to new homes? They would need to be kept in a room away from your other cat, but just one small room would be OK for them. It would be much better for the cats and for your grand father. Little kittens are a lot of work! I can understand why he gets stressed out.

Make sure the kittens are kept away from your other cat until they have been vaccinated. My vet vaccinates when the kittens get to 600 grams, or around 8 weeks old.

You can get the mother cat spayed now. Do you need help finding a cheap spay and neuter clinic in your area?
It would be great if you could find one near our area, although do we live in different countries?
Anyway I live:
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise