6 Week Old Kitten

Megganwahl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we got a 6 weeks old kitten yesterday and since we got him he has not stopped crying. He is hardly strong enough to walk or pull himself around. He won’t eat or drink. And in 24 hours he has only gone pee twice.

The CONSTANT crying is what is driving us nuts. We have tried to syringe feed him, given him rice in a sock to help keep him warm, and kept him in one room to help with the stress of new surroundings.

We think he may need to stay with his mom and litter mates longer and want to give him back until he is more ready.

Please help!!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Why was the decision made to take a six week old kitten from his mother?

I realize all circumstances are different, but typically it is ideal to leave kittens with their mother for 8 weeks. Taking them away sooner, when not necessary, can create all kinds of feeding/security issues.

Depending on why this took place in the first place, if you do decide to let him be with his mother a while longer, be sure to take towels/blankets that are being used by mother and babies and rub them on your kitten so that he smells like the rest of his family, just to help avoid possible rejection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Megganwahl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We didn’t know much about having kittens. And she messaged us saying he was ready. He was eating food and using the litter box with them. So we all figured it would be okay. Then we saw how small he actually was but didn’t wanna say anything due to our lack of knowledge. Looking back we should have said something. But we have messaged her and asked if she would take him back and we are waiting for a reply.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, that was what I was concerned about - why the caretaker would have encouraged this in the first place. Has this caretaker 'doled' out all the other kittens as well? It would seem she might be in a hurry to dispense with the kittens, for whatever reason.

I have a woman in my neighborhood that is involved with a rescue/donation organization, but she is also known by people in the area who just 'dump' kittens on her. She was taking care of a stray and two kittens about 3 weeks old, when someone dumped 4 kittens, probably 2 weeks old on her. Next thing I know she is talking about trying to get the older kittens to eat food. I suspect she is overwhelmed (she has multiple other cats she is fostering) and is trying to 'speed up the process' with the older ones so she can move them along.

I would be curious if you know anything about this caretaker and the circumstances she is operating under. Also, unless you are planning to taking the kitten back - should this person agree to keeping the kitten for a couple more weeks - you might just find out she immediately turns around and gives it to someone else. If you plan on taking the kitten back again after a couple of weeks, I would ask the caretaker if you can visit with him in the meantime.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The sock idea is a great one, and you can also try a heating pad set on low with a couple towels over it. A ticking clock or a heartbeat toy will help too.

These recipes will be useful as well;
Kitten-Rescue.com

Try a small makeup remover sponge, he might be better able to suckle from that, or pick up a newborn bottle and nipples. I realize he's six weeks, but since he's being so reluctant it might be good to backup a few steps. Time is of the essence here.

Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn's Life

The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition

Kitten Development Stages - Illustrated Guide

Last edited:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These articles might also be helpful for you. The first one states a kitten should stay with their mother until 12-16 weeks old, but I think 8-10 is currently the more common trend depending on whether a stray/feral/domesticated cat is involved.

How Old Do Kittens Have To Be To Leave Their Mother?

First-time Cat Owner's Guide
Common (in US) doesn’t mean healthy, in the situation where a kitten has a mother and a safe space with humans, personally I see no excuse of taking him from her at 8weeks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Common (in US) doesn’t mean healthy, in the situation where a kitten has a mother and a safe space with humans, personally I see no excuse of taking him from her at 8weeks.
Hence the reason why I included the words "common trend depending on whether a stray/feral/domesticated cat is involved" in my statement.

The article also makes similar statements, as there are many circumstances involved that do not enable a full 12-16 weeks with the mother. And, we don't yet know what the situation is with M Megganwahl 's case.

Last edited:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hence the reason why I included the words "common trend depending on whether a stray/feral/domesticated cat is involved" in my statement.
Yes, sorry, I guess your earlier statement about 8 weeks being ideal confused me. Honestly, I get emotional when such small baby is taken away from mom when it’s not needed. Nobody does it to human children, after all.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this woman a breeder? If so, she should be reported for unethical practice. We found our baby Silas after he was (likely) dumped by an abusive owner when he was barely 5 weeks. They are a lot of work.

How often are you attempting to feed him? Kittens that young typically poop and pee once after each feeding and should be fed 4-5 times a day.

He is not strong enough to lift himself up?! That is either a sign that he is much younger or that he is very ill. He is likely dehydrated, too. Do you live near a shelter? Do you have a vet? You need to take this kitten in immediately or he is likely going to die. I am not trying to scare you. Silas was dehydrated and malnourished to the point he was not awake for more than a few minutes at a time when we found him. Our vet said he would have died within hours if we would not have taken him.

6-week-old kittens are pretty active and can get around easily by themselves.

Do you have a picture of him?

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Starting at 15:53 of this video is a healthy 6-week-old kitten. See how active it is?

Last edited:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regardless of whether it was taken away from its mother too soon, the fact that it cannot walk around and eat is making it sound like this kitten is declining fast and needs a vet asap. A 6 week old kitten is a baby and fragile, yes, but it should be walking and playing and bouncing around. Something is wrong.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Starting at 5:53 of this video is a healthy 6-week-old kitten. See how active it is?
I just looked at this video (this is a great visual aid, by the way!) and I just want to note that the 6 week old kitten section starts at 15:53.

I agree, it sounds like this kitten needs to see a vet ASAP. 6 week old kittens are normally very active.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's normal for a 6-week-old to cry a lot, have issues eating dry food, and not quite understand litterboxes, but not being able to walk normally is very concerning. I hope he'll be OK. Let us know!