6 Week Old Kitten Not Eating Any Sort Of Food, Very Weak

Abraham204

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I'm new here, only really made an account to ask about this.

Took in a stray cat about 7 weeks ago, she had a litter of 7 a week later, only 6 survived the first day. There were two kittens about a week ago that seemed smaller than all the rest, but my parents assured me that they would be fine. Today, we found one of those kittens sadly passed away. Last night it was very weak and didn't seem to be eating much, not to mention very skinny and sleeping away from all other kittens. The mother cat was confused and came to us meowing earlier which was when we noticed the baby. The other kitten is about the same, but still alive. She'll drink water but can barely stand up to do so, and the mother cat has tried getting her to eat and has been following her around to lay beside her. The kitten always moves away. Her breathing is slower than the other four, who are very energetic and pretty large in comparison. I'm not sure if it's a flea problem or what. They have quite a bit of fleas, and we weren't able to do much while they were so young. I'm not sure what to do, and plan on calling a vet soon or taking them all there, I just wanted to see if anyone here might have any advice? Anything of that sort. I'm just worried for the baby and out of the two litters my old cat had, this has never happened before.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Abraham204 Abraham204

How is the kitten now? Honey on the gums will give quick energy. You can try giving drops of sugar water with a pinch of salt mixed using a dropper in the side of the kitten’s mouth.

The kitten needs nutrition, such as Gerber chicken or turkey baby food offered on your finger for her to lick.

I hope you can help her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abraham204

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten is doing a bit better so far, we gave her some kitten formula in a dropper and we are taking her to the vet first thing in the morning. Everyone is going to be up periodically throughout the night to feed her, and we gave her a bath to get rid of any fleas. We still have to feed her ourselves, but she did eat a single piece of meat from some canned food. Hopefully she makes it through the night, we put her on a blanket with a heating pad underneath so she stays warm, and her mother and siblings are staying close to her. Thank you for all the helpful messages <3

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok, you are doing great. Proceed so in these paths, and more and more food with time... Goats milk mentioned is excellent, but kmr is of course good enough.
And bathe her again, she must get rid of the fleas. They are killing a weak individual. Just be sure she doesnt become chilled off.
Why, bathe and deflease all the other too...

When she becomes stronger, deworm her, both for roundworms and tapeworms.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m happy to hear she is hanging in there! Supportive care is most important. Continue with dropper feeding of kitten formula every 2 hours. Continue to offer mushy wet food as well. I hope she pulls through. Is mama cat still nursing her kittens?

Abraham204

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m happy to hear she is hanging in there! Supportive care is most important. Continue with dropper feeding of kitten formula every 2 hours. Continue to offer mushy wet food as well. I hope she pulls through. Is mama cat still nursing her kittens?
Yes, she is.

Abraham204

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunate update, she did not make it.

After taking her and the rest of the litter to the vet, they found that her temperature was way too low and she was too weak to really continue on. We were given the choice on taking her home or euthanasia, and decided it would be best to let her be at peace and out of pain rather than take her home to suffer and slowly fade away, which would only hurt everyone so much worse. The cause of her sickness was mainly fleas, but the other kittens have been given some flea medicine from the vet and we were told they looked good and well. Poor mother cat is quite upset though, but who wouldn't be after losing two children in only two days, she is still caring for her other kittens though which is good. Rest in peace little Anjo <3

Eva Fitz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi when my cats were little they struggled eating. Try Sheba poultry pates mixed with a little bit of water. Kittens find this really easy to eat. Hope the kitten is doing better.

Abraham204

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind words <3 I'm going to do my absolute best to make sure the remaining kittens and their mother live long and happy lives! We're going to be doing regular vet visits for them and get the mother fixed as soon as the vet says we're able to.