6 Week Old Kitten- Has Issue?

sabregirlxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys! My fiance found this little 4 week old kitten two weeks ago, abandoned at a gas station. She was covered in fleas, maggots, had hypothermia, conjunctivitis, and could barely breathe. We rushed her to the 24 hour emergency hospital where she was in ICU for 48 hours. When they released her to us, she was on antibiotics, probiotics, eye ointment etc.

She recovered miraculously quickly, and is gaining weight and playing like crazy! This is little Mira, the Miracle. She is estimated to be about 6 weeks old now. We still give her the antibiotics and eye ointment and her check up is on Tuesday, the 25th. She has been pooping and peeing consistently, and to my knowledge doesn't seem to be straining to poop. (though when we first brought her home, she had constipation and we had to start mixing lots of water with wet food. Since then, she has been pooping just fine).

Recently, however, I have noticed that her butt is a little... odd? This is right after eating... It seems to protrude a little, but it's not the inside that's protruding out of her anus. I've never seen this before, but to me, it doesn't look like anal/rectal prolapse based on pictures on google... Has anybody ever seen this, and is this something I should be rushing her in for, or would it be okay to wait until Tuesday? It's the only good picture I could get as she is very squirmy and doesn't like to sit still!

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't seen that before, hopefully someone else has and chimes in.

Given her health history and her age, I would take her in now. Especially since if you wait and it turns into an emergency it will be more challenging to find care on the weekend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabregirlxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention (and I don't see an edit button?) that I'm really tight on money- her ICU bills at the emergency clinic really drained me financially and my care credit is already maxed from an emergency with my senior cat last week. (When it rains, it pours!)

That's why I'm asking here first, as opposed to bringing her in immediately. I mean, she is acting normal. She's playing, running around, eating, pooping, peeing... It's just something I've never seen before and it LOOKS like it could be bad? I'm not sure.

I have 6 hours until my regular vet closes, so I'll make a decision in 4, for sure. So I hope someone can chime in and has seen this before.

Thanks guys!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I forgot to mention (and I don't see an edit button?) that I'm really tight on money- her ICU bills at the emergency clinic really drained me financially and my care credit is already maxed from an emergency with my senior cat last week. (When it rains, it pours!)

That's why I'm asking here first, as opposed to bringing her in immediately. I mean, she is acting normal. She's playing, running around, eating, pooping, peeing... It's just something I've never seen before and it LOOKS like it could be bad? I'm not sure.

I have 6 hours until my regular vet closes, so I'll make a decision in 4, for sure. So I hope someone can chime in and has seen this before.

Thanks guys!
You have to post a specific amount before you'll have the edit option. Hopefully someone has experience with this and responds today.

Was a dewormer part of her initial treatment?

sabregirlxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You have to post a specific amount before you'll have the edit option. Hopefully someone has experience with this and responds today.

Was a dewormer part of her initial treatment?
Yes, she had a dewormer as part of her initial visit.

It was either tape or ringworms. I'd have to look for her receipt to find out- but I'm at work. Haha

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I know you are strapped financially to incur more vet bills, but I have to agree with Kieka Kieka that this really should be looked at by a vet.

Do you by chance have her records from the ER vet, just to see if anything by chance was mentioned about this? Has she since seen a 'regular' vet where her records were transferred to and that you might call and ask about any notes regarding her little behind?

Is it possible to borrow money from a friend or family member, or if she has a regular vet now, ask about a payment plan?

I sure hope it is nothing to be terribly worried about, but if at all possible take her to the vet - better safe than sorry.

Keep us posted!!

sabregirlxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I know you are strapped financially to incur more vet bills, but I have to agree with Kieka Kieka that this really should be looked at by a vet.

Do you by chance have her records from the ER vet, just to see if anything by chance was mentioned about this? Has she since seen a 'regular' vet where her records were transferred to and that you might call and ask about any notes regarding her little behind?

Is it possible to borrow money from a friend or family member, or if she has a regular vet now, ask about a payment plan?

I sure hope it is nothing to be terribly worried about, but if at all possible take her to the vet - better safe than sorry.

Keep us posted!!
She has not seen my regular vet, no, and I have honestly been looking to find a new place anyway. It's a bit of a haul for me now, and they handled my senior cat a little roughly last week.

I have found a place with good reviews that's affordable, but the earliest I could take her is 10:15 am tomorrow. So that might be what happens. Or there's a Banfield with 5 star reviews not too far either.

I do not have her detailed records, since I was planning on having her checkup be with the same people who brought her back to life, essentially. Then once the checkup was done, I'd bring her to my regular vet from then on. But that may be changing.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you can wait until Tuesday since she is energetic, playing, eating, pooping, and peeing normally. It does not appear as an emergency to me. Her bottom also does not look sore, but you could apply vaseline or coconut oil if you wish.

I would recommend that you avoid a Banfield clinic, and find a well-recommended private vet for the remainder of her care after her final checkup at the place that saved her.

Thank you for doing so much for her, and we’d love to see a picture of the rest of her too! :)

S sabregirlxo

sabregirlxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you can wait until Tuesday since she is energetic, playing, eating, pooping, and peeing normally. It does not appear as an emergency to me. Her bottom also does not look sore, but you could apply vaseline or coconut oil if you wish.

I would recommend that you avoid a Banfield clinic, and find a well-recommended private vet for the remainder of her care after her final checkup at the place that saved her.

Thank you for doing so much for her, and we’d love to see a picture of the rest of her too! :)

S sabregirlxo
Thank you for your opinion! :) I will avoid the banfield, then, and look into the other vet clinic I found.

And here is a picture of Mira! I should have included it in the beginning, now that I think about it! Lol All I gave was a picture of her butt! She's a cute little stinker. Haha

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have found a place with good reviews that's affordable, but the earliest I could take her is 10:15 am tomorrow. So that might be what happens. Or there's a Banfield with 5 star reviews not too far either.
Is she pooping without straining unduly? If so, Tuesday may be fine, but...she had such a rough start, I hate to take chances. Tomorrow would be safer. I'd feel more comfortable with that.

sabregirlxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she pooping without straining unduly? If so, Tuesday may be fine, but...she had such a rough start, I hate to take chances. Tomorrow would be safer. I'd feel more comfortable with that.
Yes! She is pooping without straining. They're "good" looking poops, not too small, not too soft or too hard. And no blood that I've noticed.

I'm leaning towards tomorrow, too, just to be safe.