6 month old male throwing up after neuter

DiamondBossBabe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m very nervous and more than emotional making this a first post here but I see a lot of great forums and people advising of specific things…. Anyways we took our little 6 month old guy to get fixed 10/2/23 and he did well and was very energetic as soon as we got home and was almost his normal self the same day and all was well until yesterday morning 10/5/23 when I woke up there was 2 different areas of throw up and they weren’t tiny by any means, and he threw up twice today 10/6/23 & looked like he threw up everything eaten and drank and he is still eating and drinking some water but not enough which causes some concern. He’s still playful and all that but the throwing up has me concerned. Also he has shivered a few times and his pads are cold to the touch which is odd cause I’ve never felt a cats pads and have them cold. So with the throwing up and cold pads we called the vet and advised of what was going on and they asked me to go ahead and bring him in so they could see him. So we get there and they take him back and come back about 8 minutes later stating that since he looks so sickly they want to test him for parvo, and I’m immediately like parvo? He was just in here getting fixed and we wanna jump to parvo? And he just received his first set of vaccines at the end of august 2023; as we had found him abandoned at a maverick gas station here hiding behind an ice machine so we coaxed him out with tuna and kept him. But the vet came back saying that he has a light positive for panleukopenia, could this be a false positive since he did recently receive his vaccines and he did just have surgery Monday? And I have 6 other cats and a dog and not one of them have this so I’m trying to figure out how only one of my animals would have this and he’s an inside cat only as are all the rest. And if he could have this what is the best options to get him through this and him hopefully survive as o cannot lose him, I would be beyond crushed, and I want to make sure he’s comfortable and as healthy as can be.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My acts ahev Leukemia, Panleukopenia, and are 4-year survivors. I pray the 'light' positive is from the vaccinations. Your other animals should be fine if they are vaccinated, mine were. Throwing up could be either the vaccinations (if recent) or the anesthetic used in the neutering, that is common. The pain medication, etc, could have made him feel good for a few days, that is why the delayed reaction. How does his neutered site look? No swelling, discharge? No signs of infection?
Keep him warm. get some Delectable Likables in the stew flavors to tempt his appetite and start him on DMG, mixed in a little Delectables, to build up his immune system, that is what I do for mine. As long as he is eating and drinking a little, he'll get through this. I'll pray for your little one, keep positive. The most important thing is to give him love............

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I to find it suspicious that they jumped to parvo, which is feline panleukopenia. If they thought that was the case they should have run blood work to see what his white blood cell count was.
The vaccines could give a false positive if done 5 to 15 days prior to the testing.
It makes me wonder if they didn’t have a panleuk positive cat there when your cat was neutered.
Anyway, a follow up PCR lab test should be run to confirm. Although false positives are rare.
The below link is for shelters but has valuable information.

Library

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had one cat throw up massive amounts (in terms of cats throwing up) the first day of the neuter and was fine after. I would adopt a "wait and see" attitude, even though I know you are scared. Keep him monitored, start him on meds if needed, and as stephanietx stephanietx said, get a second opinion if he doesn't start feeling better soon. My prayers are with you guys. And please keep us posted...