6 month old kitten constant Diarrhoea and scooting please help

Ryancleme1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi all I'm new to the forum unfortunately due to my 6 month's old kitten having real bad diarrhoea and scooting everytime he goes in to poop, a back story to this:

I brought the kitten from a lady who had too many pets, when I brought him home he was fine although he had a number of fleas which was quicky sorted. he then went on to live great full of life and playing with my other sphynx cat. then around November last year despite not changing his food he started having really bad diarrhoea and he vomited once I watched and kept a close eye on him for the next few days then with no improvement went to the Pdsa vet. the gave him probiotic and a de wormer still no improvementhe was then placed on a bland food recommended by the vet, still no improvement hes since had tests and fecal test with showing no signs of parasites and worms. he's still scooting In the litter box when he poops so I have to keep wiping his bottom which I know in turn will make his bottom sore eventually, he's also had pumpkin added to his bland food and he improved a few days then he's gone right back to it. he's recently noticeably lost weight and I am just at a loss of what the cause could be. please could someone help advise me. thank you in advance!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried boiling a chicken breast? Cut it into very small pieces and serve it with some of the liquid. Once I'm certain they have no worms or giardia, a couple of days of this simple diet has helped all my young cats with diarrhoea. If this starts to work you can try adding pumpkin, perhaps boiled potato and eventually some of his normal tinned cat food.

I just hope it's not a food allergy. Is he still vomiting?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ryancleme1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
no he hasn't vomited since so the vet said it isn't a blockage or anything but it could possibly be a food allergy. I have tried chicken when it started happening I've tried everything I can think of. the worrying thing is he's started to become really thin

Ryancleme1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
okay update he's vomited again this morning which is really worrying too. I'm so concerned that the vets aren't sure what it is

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What kind of fecal test did the vet do? If not a full fecal PCR, I would ask the vet about that. It is much more thorough than the standard fecal float or smears, in that it will check for various bacterial and viral issues, as well as parasites not typically found in the standard tests. It's not a guarantee that it will identify anything, but at least it will help rule some possible causes for the diarrhea.

How long was he in your home before the diarrhea started? If not long, you might want to consider putting him back on the food he was eating before and see if that helps any. You can always transition him later once you get this matter resolved. If the human chicken hasn't helped a bit, you might be dealing with a chicken allergy. Unfortunately, I have no idea what to recommend, but there are members on this site that have dealt with such an allergy, so hopefully some of them will see this thread and offer some alternatives.

I'd also consider a second opinion with an entirely different vet practice. A fresh set of eyes never hurt - and you can get copies of all of his records to shar with the new vet to help reduce redundant testing/costs.

Ryancleme1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
that's great thank you for getting back to me, I'm not totally sure how deep the went with the test I will ask and post back on what it was, I thought it could possible be either an allergy or possibly the anal glands? he was it us around 2 months before this started and before he was fine really spritely and would handle his business in the litterbox