6 Month Old Feral Kitten -help!

GracieMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently agreed to adopt a 6 month old kitten who lived in a drain pipe outside for his first 3-4 months, then at a foster home, then in a crate at a vet for 6 weeks, waiting to be adopted, which didn't happen. Until someone convinced me to give him a try! I have had him for 6 days, living in a spare bedroom. When I can get him out from under the bed, he will sit on my lap and purr, for about 10 minutes - then he remembers he's scared, and heads back under. I actually have to pull him out, which he decided he hated, so he made himself impossible to get. So I feel like we have gone backwards. I plan today to make this space smaller somehow (I guess I can put boxes under the bed, or something to take up the space?) I'm looking for suggestions on how best to go about blending a feral into my home. I also have two dogs, and another cat - can't even imagine when they will all be able to meet!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! First thing, do NOT pull him out.
Don't do ANYTHING. Leave the space exactly as it is.

Sit on the floor, talk and sing to him but don't look at him. You don't want to pressure him at all.

Put treats on the floor and then just leave them and him alone, don't try and force the treats or yourself on him. Eventually you'll be putting those treats out when he's near, but not yet.
Play some low volume classical harp music, it's wonderful for relaxing cats.

The whole point is that you must allow him the freedom to learn about you at his own pace. Then you must wait until he's decided you're ok, and then for him to begin to approach you.

Again, when this starts to happen do NOT react or try to rush things. Just let it happen, on his time schedule.

You and this little fellow will be just fine, --after he's come to the conclusion that you are ok. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GracieMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I was only pulling him out because he seemed to like sitting on my lap and being pet. Until her didn't! He doesn't seem to like treats, I have tried that, and even have left some on different surfaces of the room for him to find. I did sit on the bed this morning and dangled a ribbon so he could see it - he would stick one paw out to try and play. Then I lay on the floor next to the bed and was able to pet him for a good 10 minutes. So I guess this is progress. You are right, I need to be patient! I'll try the music too, that's a great idea.