6 month old cat ate hoodie string

Shane Larouche

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat always loved playing with my hoodie strings. 5 or so days ago he started playing with it chewing it, and then started swallowing it...so what I did was pulled out the string out of the hoodie and put it in the garbage. Well yesterday my boy puked out (picture below) a piece of the string..what I did was looked everywhere for the other missing attached part...the longest part is missing I don't know how he could've chewed a piece and left the other long string in the garbage..he's eating well pooping and peeing everyday, he plays has his zoomies..wouldn't my cats attitude or day to day change if he would ingest that long and thick of a string? I have a vet app tomorrow and know it's going to cost $$$ I'm just wondering if I'm going for nothing if the cat is acting normal eating well etc

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think you need to play it cautiously and keep the vet appt. Despite how well he appears to be doing, having him throw up a piece 5 days later is worrisome enough to warrant a vet visit.

Sometimes these types of things that are ingested can cause blockages - anywhere in the digestive tract, and just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it can't still happen. He has had that piece of string sitting in his stomach, undigested for 5 days and you don't really know how much may still be in there.

If I were you, I'd be hoping that I would find out I did waste the money as opposed to having something worse happen.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A blockage with a string can also live in the intestines for awhile. There's been media of vets removing built up hair elastic blockages from cats where the cats have swallowed multiple elastics over years with no symptoms until it becomes life-threatening.

For this reason I urge you to seek out a vet for your kitten. A long string can cause intestine damage.