6 Month Manx Kitten

ChanelB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all of you,
A friend recommended I come here and ask all of you lovely people some questions. First-time cat owner here!
We adopted our kitten Roy, from a friend of a friend, with the intention of having Roy as an outdoor cat to kill mice. I had some kind of cartoon version in my head of cats I guess. Anyway, after realizing that was a terrible idea we tried to accept that he would be living inside with us for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, our house has been in chaos for the last couple of months because of the wildfires and because our dog was diagnosed with cancer and had to get surgery.
Shortly after the turmoil of the fires and our dog getting surgery, I noticed Roy wasn’t peeing in his litter box a d we ended up at the vet. He has crystals in his pee. After a lot of cat coaching from a friend and with the vet’s help, it seems as if Roy is on the mend.
Last night I let him sleep in our bed, which I don’t normally do and when I woke up this morning I noticed he had peed. I’m assuming in his sleep (this happened during the crystal thing too). He had a urinary test last Friday and the vet said there was still crystal residue.
I’m here because I understand now that Manx cats to have issues with 1 and 2 stuff. But I’m wondering if anyone has gone through anything similar? Is this a kitten issue, a Manx issue, or just something that happens after crystals? Also, if anyone has a suggestion of what I should do about him peeing in his sleep? I want him to feel safe and secure and if that means he wants to sleep next to me that’s fine, but is there a way to help him pee in his litter box instead of on me?
Thank you!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
A couple questions, are you feeding him canned food and do you have several water bowls available?

You could possibly utilize a diaper, unscented puppy pee pads, and although I'm assuming he uses his litter box regularly, you could maybe try a litter called Cat Attract.

What did the vet say regarding how to deal with the crystal residue? Did they think it was initially caused by stress, diet or both?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChanelB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, so he is still on a prescribed urinary help canned food as per my vet’s request. Roy has access to two water bowls and three litter boxes. Two of them have the cat attract in them, and 1 doesn’t (just as a test). I also add water to his food, just to give him as much liquid as I can.
My vet felt like the crystals were most likely stress induced but, she did mention his breed and their troubles with their back ends.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not familiar with Manx cats but I've had to utilize pee pads on the bed and other favorite napping places during Poppycat's illness a couple years ago ( he was about 13 at the time). He was so charming about it, after he didn't need them he looked for them for a little while 💗

Can you try cat music for your furbaby? There's Spotify, youtube, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats as sources :)

Hoping your canine sweetheart is doing better 💙