6 month kitten spayed, 3 days later she still seems extra tired.

Gregophocles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just had our 6 month old kitten spayed on Thursday. 1 week prior she had a full blood panel and everything came up normal and healthy. Today, Sunday, she is still sleepier than usual and seems depressed. I'm thinking it's mostly because we have her in a post-op cat suit. We tried the cone on her and she was even more miserable with that. With the cat suit you can tell she barely wants to walk; it's definitely not too tight, the vet put it on after surgery and said it was a perfect fit.

I've attached a kind of blurry picture of her incision (it was the best I could get) and I don't think I see anything unhealthy. It's dry, maybe a little bit of healed bruising at the bottom?

She is eating well, peeing and pooping normally, but is just more sleepy than I would've expected after 3 days post-op. Anyone else have this kind of experience to put my mind at ease?

Attachments

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is normal as she is still recovering from surgery. how long is the incision? It looks longer than the regular

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gregophocles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is normal as she is still recovering from surgery. how long is the incision? It looks longer than the regular
I would say the incision is about 1 inch long.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does your paperwork show if they gave her an antibiotic shot of Convenia? That can cause excessive lethargy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gregophocles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does your paperwork show if they gave her an antibiotic shot of Convenia? That can cause excessive lethargy.
There is no antibiotic shown on the itemized bill, just pain management meds and anesthesia. We were given three days worth of Onsior to be administered every 24 hours for the first three days, so yesterday was the last dose of that.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably the suit, cats tend to hate bodysuits or e-collars. And that's a good thing, as a kitten that age doesn't know how to stay still to heal! As long as she's eating, drinking, using the litterbox, doesn't have a fever, incision looks good, etc., I wouldn't worry about it unless the lethargy continues even after the suit comes off.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The pain meds could be causing the lethargy. I would stop the pain meds and see if that helps. I've never given a kitty pain meds after a spay. You can use a baby onesie in place of a cone.