6-7 Yr Old Cat Urinates When We Scratch Him

goatlord

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello!
i made an account on here just to ask for an answer because i couldn't find anything on google.
we have a tuxedo cat named Cisco and he is overweight, he's been overweight for years and this problem just has been happening recently.

just as the title says, we cannot scratch anywhere past his neck because he's extremely sensitive and he ends up urinating wherever he's standing. anyone know why this happening??
he'll even make himself pee by scratching himself on our kitchen bar's stools.

he's been to the vet recently and they said it was fleas but there are no fleas on him, he has the black dandruff from having fleas but we have never seen fleas on him ever and have given him several flea baths. in the areas he's sensitive he's balding from ripping his fur out.

i just want to know if this is something to worry about or if he's just .. sensitive ??
thanks so much for reading!

Attachments

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
:hellosmiley:and :welcomesign: to you and to the extremely handsome Cisco! Your vet's conclusion that fleas are involved is quite reasonable considering that you're able to find indications that Cisco has had fleas in the recent past. Poor boy. He may have developed an allergy to flea bites, in which case only a single flea bite can cause him to frantically scratch and bite at the site. This can start a cycle that continues after the fleas are gone - continued scratching means the problem spots never get a chance to heal. Cats with raw spots are also susceptible to secondary infections. This article in PetMD gives some information on flea bite allergies.

From the article:

"Flea bite hypersensitivity or flea allergic dermatitis usually causes severe itching, a condition that is medically referred to as pruritis. Since as few as one or two flea bites a week can cause pruritis, symptoms will often persist even after some form of flea control has been applied. Most cats will have symptoms that worsen with age, but symptoms are also often episodic. Cats especially will sometimes suffer from a related conditon called neurodermatoses, a behavioral problem that comes about as the result of anxiety related flea bite hypersensitivity.

Most owners will first notice frequent and severe itching and scratching, hair loss, and scabs on their cat's skin. Many times the hind end is affected more than the front of the body or the head, however, cats that are suffering from an allergy to fleas can have lesions anywhere on the body. Moreover, fleas or flea dirt may or may not be readily visible".

Did your vet offer any treatment for the itching? Sometimes, it may be necessary for cats to wear the dreaded cone to keep affected spots free from continued attention. An added advantage to wearing a cone is that cats can't reach the area to lick off any soothing ointments applied to the spot.

I do wonder about Cisco's incontinence. It may be possible that his skin is so sensitive that the pleasure of scratching it triggers urination but there are so many other causes of feline incontinence that I'm curious about an underlying condition. Did your vet test for urinary tract issues, such as an infection or inflammation caused by the presence of crystals in his urine?

Since you're concerned about an incomplete, or even wrong diagnosis from your vet, consider getting a second opinion. This is always worth doing and it sounds like Cisco is pretty miserable. Since you're wondering if "sensitive skin" is enough to explain Cisco's inappropriate urination, see if you can't get a vet to rule out the alternatives.

:goodluck: I hope Cisco recovers quickly!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will only add to that, that as he ages, the effects of his excess weight may have something to do with his incontinence. This is a bit of a guess, as I know it affects humans like that. It stands to reason that it might well have the same effect in felines. The excess body fat puts extra pressure on the bladder with rather damp results.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goatlord

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you so much for replying!!
and no, our vet didn't give us anything for treatment, he mostly went to the vet for his weight problem and they also cleaned his disgusting ears, but i mentioned all the other things happening to him.

i live with my mom so i'll have a talk with her about what to do with him next.
again, thanks so much for so much information!

:hellosmiley:and :welcomesign: to you and to the extremely handsome Cisco! Your vet's conclusion that fleas are involved is quite reasonable considering that you're able to find indications that Cisco has had fleas in the recent past. Poor boy. He may have developed an allergy to flea bites, in which case only a single flea bite can cause him to frantically scratch and bite at the site. This can start a cycle that continues after the fleas are gone - continued scratching means the problem spots never get a chance to heal. Cats with raw spots are also susceptible to secondary infections. This article in PetMD gives some information on flea bite allergies.

From the article:

"Flea bite hypersensitivity or flea allergic dermatitis usually causes severe itching, a condition that is medically referred to as pruritis. Since as few as one or two flea bites a week can cause pruritis, symptoms will often persist even after some form of flea control has been applied. Most cats will have symptoms that worsen with age, but symptoms are also often episodic. Cats especially will sometimes suffer from a related conditon called neurodermatoses, a behavioral problem that comes about as the result of anxiety related flea bite hypersensitivity.

Most owners will first notice frequent and severe itching and scratching, hair loss, and scabs on their cat's skin. Many times the hind end is affected more than the front of the body or the head, however, cats that are suffering from an allergy to fleas can have lesions anywhere on the body. Moreover, fleas or flea dirt may or may not be readily visible".

Did your vet offer any treatment for the itching? Sometimes, it may be necessary for cats to wear the dreaded cone to keep affected spots free from continued attention. An added advantage to wearing a cone is that cats can't reach the area to lick off any soothing ointments applied to the spot.

I do wonder about Cisco's incontinence. It may be possible that his skin is so sensitive that the pleasure of scratching it triggers urination but there are so many other causes of feline incontinence that I'm curious about an underlying condition. Did your vet test for urinary tract issues, such as an infection or inflammation caused by the presence of crystals in his urine?

Since you're concerned about an incomplete, or even wrong diagnosis from your vet, consider getting a second opinion. This is always worth doing and it sounds like Cisco is pretty miserable. Since you're wondering if "sensitive skin" is enough to explain Cisco's inappropriate urination, see if you can't get a vet to rule out the alternatives.

:goodluck: I hope Cisco recovers quickly!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep us posted! Too often people post about a problem, and then disappear, leaving us to fret about what has happened! You have a community at your back now!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a monthly flea topical, the kind that go on the back of the neck? You might have fleas hiding in your carpet that jump back on him after his flea bath.