6 1/2 Month old Kitten: Constant Health Issues

SabiDabi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello new here!

This is a little long, sorry! I'll break down information in a more condensed way after the big paragraph. Here is some back story incase it's important. I was given Sabi when he was 8-10 weeks old from a couple who has been trying their hardest to care for a colony of abandoned cats. Sabi (my kitten) was abandoned by his mother as a very small kitten. It was clear that he was in critical condition. He had a serious respiratory infection, nobody thought he would survive. He was treated with antibiotics and immune booter shot. At a later appointment the vet had determined that he had made a full recovery. They noticed that he didn't have a meow and had the occasional cough/snotty eyes. They vet said often these kittens blossom once inside. Dogs limited the amount of time he could spend inside so they started looking for a special home for him. We implemented strict rules to ensure that Sabi was never in the room when air quality was being compromised (candles, sage, dusting, vacuuming). He really blossomed, starting catching up growth wise, better fur, clear eyes. A month after he came home I started to notice him coughing. I took him to the animal hospital where he was diagnosed with pneumonia. He was treated with IM steroids and antibiotics. He fully recovered (vet confirmed), and was neutered at 6 months. A couple days after being neutered I had to leave the country; then my sister let me know that he started coughing again. He was taken the the vet once again and it was decided that we would be treating him with antibiotics again. Once again he seems better. THEN, yesterday I get a text saying my sister is taking him to the vet again because it seems like he has a UTI. It was caught early, he will be fine. This had me thinking if there is something bigger going on? He has been to three different vets. They all seem to think that this is bad luck. Here is the more condensed info:

Diet: N&D kitten, rehydrated Stella & Chewy raw bites. (I tried 5/6 brands of wet food, the smell makes me ill) I intended on doing raw. Him constantly getting ill is holding me back due to bacteria.

Health: 3-4 week old diagnosed with respiratory infection. Pneumonia diagnosed at 14 weeks and again at 6 months. UTI diagnosed at 6 1/2 months. Dewormed/Fecal tested. Blood doesn't suggest issues. UTD on vaccines. Zero behavioral issues we have fully trained him to have his teeth brushed, nails trimmed, working on recall, and leash training currently. Never had little box issues until the UTI. Very social and playful.

I guess I'm just wondering if I'm not asking for something I should be? More than will to try anything. This kitten is our whole world, I just want him to be able to breathe for more than a month at a time. Any ideas or suggestions?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
To double check, after the pneumonia at six months he's not coughing or having other respiratory issues?

Regarding the urinary problem, see if you can tackle that from occurring again by feeding wet food, having the litter at a certain depth (some say to have it pretty deep) but if his bottom touches it you might need to have the sand less deep or try a different type of litter, and ignoring the vets giving you those negative thoughts. His immune system is still growing and although I'm not a vet, my guess is that as he continues to grow and to be so loved and cared for, he'll be fine 🌹❣

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SabiDabi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
To double check, after the pneumonia at six months he's not coughing or having other respiratory issues?

Regarding the urinary problem, see if you can tackle that from occurring again by feeding wet food, having the litter at a certain depth (some say to have it pretty deep) but if his bottom touches it you might need to have the sand less deep or try a different type of litter, and ignoring the vets giving you those negative thoughts. His immune system is still growing and although I'm not a vet, my guess is that as he continues to grow and to be so loved and cared for, he'll be fine 🌹❣
Thank you for the reply. Yes, his respiratory issues are all cleared up. He was given a long lasting antibiotic and I was told that it is in their system for 30 days. I'll look into different types of litter, any recommendations? I haven't been super consistent with the type of litter because every time I read anything on litter there are so many horror stories for each type.

As for the wet food, the smell of wet food makes me pretty sick. What is the benefit to canned food vs rehydrated raw bites? I add 3/4 cups of water to 1/2 cup of raw bites. I'm willing to try different brands of wet food. If I can't tolerate the smell the local shelters are more than happy to take the extra off my hands. I've bought N&D, Tiki Cat, Nutro, Purina Beyond Organic, and Halo. He also came with a couple cans of the Purina Kitten wet. Any not smelly brands?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, I know what you mean regarding the smell, and some of them are quite strong.

Some of the Fancy feast varieties don't have much of an odor and you could try some of the Weruva brands. Add these to his current menu of the raw bites and utilize a rotation, and be sure and give him several small-ish meals daily, including a late meal so that the stretch of time overnight isn't so long. Kittens need a tremendous amount of food to support the calories they're expending in play and the nutrition they need to support their fast growth. Their tummies aren't big enough yet to hold much food, so they need fed frequently.

For litter, what about trying something like ground walnut? It doesn't clump much so I typically add a little clumping clay litter to it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

SabiDabi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I know what you mean regarding the smell, and some of them are quite strong.

Some of the Fancy feast varieties don't have much of an odor and you could try some of the Weruva brands. Add these to his current menu of the raw bites and utilize a rotation, and be sure and give him several small-ish meals daily, including a late meal so that the stretch of time overnight isn't so long. Kittens need a tremendous amount of food to support the calories they're expending in play and the nutrition they need to support their fast growth. Their tummies aren't big enough yet to hold much food, so they need fed frequently.

For litter, what about trying something like ground walnut? It doesn't clump much so I typically add a little clumping clay litter to it.
I really appreciate the suggestions, very helpful and kind! His current litter is Wheat Scoop so I'd image the walnut isn't a big change for him. I also found a couple variety packs of Weruva and Fancy Feast. Worst case scenario they get donated and we keep trying. I'll add a fourth meal for him. Between the horse and Sabi I bet I'm Chewy's favorite customer. :catman: