5yo cat ate a needle and string

BowserRocky

Bowser & Rocky
Young Cat
Purraise
We ended up at the emergency clinic after my Rocky bear ate a needle and 36” (folded in half) long piece of cross stitch floss. Literally turned my head for 1 minute. He had surgery and they weren’t able to get to the needle/thread but milked it to his colon. He stayed in hospital until Thursday, not eating and not pooping so I opted to bring him home. He’s since pooped out the needle and full 36” of thread (I measured).

he’s been eating, drinking, peeing, pooping and grooming but he’s just not acting like himself. While I know that this is likely due to the strong meds he’s one (2 antibiotics (Cephalexin and Metronidazole) he has a small fever post surgery, 1 pain med (gabapentin) an antacid (omeprazole) - all twice a day) I am just wanting him to be “normal”. How long after surgery should I expect him to be back to his usual self!! He’s the most social, vocal and loving snuggly guy and since he came home, he sleeps and looks at me like I’m a monster for taking him to the vets and giving him all these meds. He doesn’t meow or purr 😢

many advice and/or reassurance would be greatly appreciated!!!

Attachments

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First off he is adorable!!!

Just so you know, I am not a veterinarian and don’t hold a license in anything. I have worked at vet hospitals, specialty and feline only as well as emergency hospitals for decades. So any advice I’d only offered casually and of course you need to bring up anything suggested to you vet.
Was the actual surgery in the beginning of the week?
Do you know if they opened his intestines or colon during the surgery?
How does his surgery site look?
Did they do an ultrasound of the abdomen after the surgery to look for any free fluid?
How much Gabapentin is he on? Is it liquid or capsule and what is the strength? Should e 50 to 100 mg. I would assume.
When the needle came out was it by itself or was there poop around it?
When is his follow up appointment?
What are you feeding him?

The fever ( depending on how high it was) could be due to the inflammation of the surgery. I would suggest you check it at home, but usually cats with a significant fever won’t eat. So, I wouldn’t bother doing taking his temperature at home. You will most likely just be harassing him. Provided he is eating.

The Gabapentin may be altering his mood. You could try talking to your vet about weaning him off of it. Provided doing so doesn’t cause pain. Although, Gabapentin really isn’t a pain medication. It is an anti seizure medication that has neuropathic pain relief properties, but that wouldn’t be the kind of pain your cat had with this surgery. It also can sedate cats and that may be why they used it. To keep him quiet after surgery.

With any intestinal surgery like this, there is always a risk that if opened, the intestines leak into the abdomen causing free fluid and peritonitis and sepsis. I don’t think a cat with either of those would be eating.

There is also a risk that the needle cut into his intestines or stomach while there or when passing.Digested blood will appear black in his stool. Can also look like coffee grinds.
For that reason, I am surprised they didn’t have you give him a GI protectant.

There is also risk to the esophagus when cats eat a needle. So any difficulty breathing is cause for immediate concern and prompt action.

There is also risk that the thread cuts into the intestines. But, it sounds like you recovered all of it.

Don’t put thoughts in your cat’s head. You are projecting that you feel bad onto your cat. Meaning, give meds as directed and don’t make a big deal about it.Just do it and be done. Don’t apologize to your cat about it or try to make it up to him. If he is still coming around you, he is not being traumatized.

I hope some of the above helps. I can’t say when he will be normal because each case is different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BowserRocky

Bowser & Rocky
Young Cat
Purraise
First off he is adorable!!!

Just so you know, I am not a veterinarian and don’t hold a license in anything. I have worked at vet hospitals, specialty and feline only as well as emergency hospitals for decades. So any advice I’d only offered casually and of course you need to bring up anything suggested to you vet.
Was the actual surgery in the beginning of the week?
Do you know if they opened his intestines or colon during the surgery?
How does his surgery site look?
Did they do an ultrasound of the abdomen after the surgery to look for any free fluid?
How much Gabapentin is he on? Is it liquid or capsule and what is the strength? Should e 50 to 100 mg. I would assume.
When the needle came out was it by itself or was there poop around it?
When is his follow up appointment?
What are you feeding him?

The fever ( depending on how high it was) could be due to the inflammation of the surgery. I would suggest you check it at home, but usually cats with a significant fever won’t eat. So, I wouldn’t bother doing taking his temperature at home. You will most likely just be harassing him. Provided he is eating.

The Gabapentin may be altering his mood. You could try talking to your vet about weaning him off of it. Provided doing so doesn’t cause pain. Although, Gabapentin really isn’t a pain medication. It is an anti seizure medication that has neuropathic pain relief properties, but that wouldn’t be the kind of pain your cat had with this surgery. It also can sedate cats and that may be why they used it. To keep him quiet after surgery.

With any intestinal surgery like this, there is always a risk that if opened, the intestines leak into the abdomen causing free fluid and peritonitis and sepsis. I don’t think a cat with either of those would be eating.

There is also a risk that the needle cut into his intestines or stomach while there or when passing.Digested blood will appear black in his stool. Can also look like coffee grinds.
For that reason, I am surprised they didn’t have you give him a GI protectant.

There is also risk to the esophagus when cats eat a needle. So any difficulty breathing is cause for immediate concern and prompt action.

There is also risk that the thread cuts into the intestines. But, it sounds like you recovered all of it.

Don’t put thoughts in your cat’s head. You are projecting that you feel bad onto your cat. Meaning, give meds as directed and don’t make a big deal about it.Just do it and be done. Don’t apologize to your cat about it or try to make it up to him. If he is still coming around you, he is not being traumatized.

I hope some of the above helps. I can’t say when he will be normal because each case is different.
Thank you!
His surgery was on Tuesday morning at 4am. He had a number of follow up X-rays and all sent to an external radiologist. They came back as normal, apart from the needle and incision from surgery. No fluid and minor air (again from surgery) … here is the report…
FindinGs
Abdomen: Orthoconal views of the abdomen are provided and compared to the study dated October 31. 2023. Good serosa details present. On the current study the sewing needle is similar appearance but is now clearly seen in the colon surrounded by fecal material. The colon is slightly hyperperistaltic. The
small bowel are air and fluid filled and normal in diameter without evidence of a discrepancy small bowel diameter. The stomach contains a small amount of air
There is still a small amount of free intraperitoneal
air present secondary to recent surgery. The rest of the abdomen is unremarkable and unchanged. The
visible thorax is normal as well. No additional abnormalities are present
Conclusion
1. colonic foreign body compatible with a sewing needle
2. concurrent colitis
3. Postoperative abdomen

he’s on 50ml (capsule) of gabapentin 2x per day. I can tell it makes his super dozey!!
They didn’t open his intestines or colon during surgery to prevent further risk of infection.
the needle was surrounded by poop and no blood seen. Stool is soft and brown
He had a follow up at our normal vets on Friday and no fever, no hardness in abdomen and gums were nice and pink. They looked over his meds and were okay with everything.

I will call again tomorrow to explain the sleepiness. I think it’s the meds but I would love my boy to return to his normal purry, cuddly self!

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Since it hasn’t even been a week, I think you are expecting to much to soon. I would definitely talk to your vet about weaning off the Gabapentin and seeing if that helps.

BowserRocky

Bowser & Rocky
Young Cat
Purraise
I called the emergency vet we took him to and asked about decreasing the dose (or spreading the pills out) or weening him and they said that it was fine and we should have been told that. We weren’t 😡 so I will do that now. I’ll skip is evening dose and check him when I get up for work tomorrow

BowserRocky

Bowser & Rocky
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s what I thought … although they didn’t say anything and just to give 2 a day until done 🤷🏼‍♀️. I’m going to go 18-20 hours between doses and then to 24 and then see how he does.