5mo. Kitten Screams During Playtime With His Feline Friend

bricksquadbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all,

My 5 month old kitten, Pablo, often visits Kyle, my boyfriend's 1 year old cat and they are inseparable when they're together. Kitty's play of choice is wrestling. The kitty nags him all day until he wrestles with him, but my kitten screams, cries, and yells the entire time they gently wrestle! It drives me crazy- is there any way to quell the wailing?

its worth noting that there is absolutely no injury/pain-
Kyle is extraordinarily gentle. Kyle looks after Pablo as if he were his parent. The playing is always instigated by mischievous, kitty. He runs up and bear hugs Kyle to try to take him down but always ends up getting pinned. Kyle has never reacted violently. He has never used claws, or scratched, or bit, or drew blood. Pablo just makes all kinds of gargling sounds throughout the 5 second match and shrieks and screams when he gets pinned. Then follows Kyle around and grabs his tail or chases him so they can go again.. and again.. until 4am. I think he's just a sore loser. He's already dramatic to begin with, I think he's just verbalizing his struggle.

I love that Pablo is socializing and I love that he's made a best friend, but they do this at all hours of the night... last night it was 2-5am. We've tried separating them, when we put kitty in another room he meowed and Kyle answers his every beckon call and sits at the door trilling back to him sticking his paw under the door and scratching at the door as if to try to free him. Plus, I don't want to separate them- they like to be near one another :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:

I feel like this is a lost cause, but I'll try anyways.. anyone else have this problem? Any relief in sight? Our landlords are going to kick us out LOL.

THANKS!! :heartshape:
Bri

See, Kyle loves the baby :) After rough-housing, Kyle approached Pablo to cuddle. Pablo hesitated and tensed up as you can see.... but I had to talk him through it and tell him "it's okay, baby."
fullsizeoutput_161a.jpeg

But eventually Pablo relaxed :)
fullsizeoutput_161a.jpeg

He relaxed eventually :)
IMG_2288.JPG

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing you already touched him every where to make sure he isn't injured. So my best guess? Your kitten is screaming for backup. Like a little kid screaming mom when they loose. Sadly if this is the case, the solution is to ignore them until the kitten figures out you will not beat up Kyle for him. Maybe buy earplugs? Lock them out if they wake you up? :dunno: On the plus side I think it indicates your kitten is very bright .... which may make a troublesome cat when he gets bored.
:hangin:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing you can really do to stop the screaming except to break it up by distracting them with toys or food. I know, it can be crazy loud, some cats just love to yell and complain while they are playing. Since this is occurring during the night you can try leaving out some interactive puzzle toys, and maybe some cat videos playing on the TV to occupy them. I would also have a long play session with both before bedtime so that they are tired enough to sleep through at least part of the night.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yummy, that is just the most gorgeous blanket!
I think time, in other words when Pablo gets a little more age, size, maturity (?) hopefully LOL, things may not calm down but they should quiet down...

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley:

I think he'll grow quieter with age. I don't think he'll necessarily stop squealing with delight altogether though. I have a kitten and a cat who play rambunctious ninja pounce and roll, and make a right racket careering into things. They're mostly silent but Parker, who is 10 months old, occasionally squeals for "more, more," whilst Dudley, 2 years old, chirrups encouragingly. They're both super well behaved though and so don't continue playing too long after lights out, as my bed time is their bed time.

You could try tiring your two out with energetic play with a wand toy such as Da Bird before bedtime. And then feed them a large meal straight after. As well as fussing them both awake all evening up until bedtime, so that they're extra sleepy. Also, try to make their nighttime environment as dark as possible, as although cats can see in the dim dark, they can't see in the pitch black so the darker the better for sleepytime.

:goodluck: