5 weeks kitten not pooping

Ellelau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I’ve been caring for a cat and its 4 kittens and the kittens are now 5 weeks old. I’m trying to wean the kittens and have been giving them wet food 1-2 times a day. The other day I noticed one of the kittens had diarrhoea and another had normal poop. They have never pooped before that and have yet to poop again since. It’s been 2 days. i see the kittens‘ pee in the litter box though. Another 2 kittens have never pooped in the litterbox. Is this normal considering that they’re still with their mom or should I be worried that they don’t know how to poop on their own at 5 weeks old? Thank you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once they start on wet food, the mother usually quits cleaning up after them. This is between 4-6 weeks. Mom may just be beginning to not clean up after them. As long as all are eating, playing, and acting normal, just let nature take its course. If you see a kitten straining to go, quits eating/drinking, and starts to be lethargic, get them to a vet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here are weaning and litter training videos:

As stated, they are a little young. You’ll see things change over the next couple of week! 😊

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ellelau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the replies! I feel more assured now. I've seen 2 more poops in the litterbox since my post. So, even though they're not pooping often and not all of them are pooping, I think that's still progress? They are still very active and are eating and drinking their mother's milk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ellelau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I've been caring for a cat and its kittens. The kittens just started learning to poop. The poop seems greyish and has blood streaks in it. Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do?
IMG_6274.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The poop looks well formed, which is good. The color is not bad. You can take a stool sample to the vet to be tested for parasites. Sometimes that can cause a little blood, or it may be from straining. If all kittens are having similar issues see what the fecal results are first. The vet may prescribe metronidazole.