5 Week Old Kitten

Mmh05

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had to bring a 5 week old stray kitten in on Monday. He was weak, skinny and dehydrated. I have been giving him KMR and some Pedialyte. He has gained a little weight but he is not up walking around. It was really hot this weekend so I don’t know if he had a heat stroke. Will it take days for him to get back to normal or could there be something permanently wrong with him?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is prob still weak!
Continue with lotsa of pedialyte, goats milk or KMR.
You can also smear some pedialyte with extra karo or honey on his lips and gum.

Massage him much. You can use a toothbrush. Talk lotsa in a friendly voice.

If its really hot he may be extra weak because of this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mmh05

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is about 11.6 ounces. How much Pedialyte should I be giving him at a time and how often?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As much as he'll take. The container says 2 tablespoons per 4oz of weight so I guess 6 tablespoons is what you should aim for. (Oh wait, that's KMR).

For Pedialyte, if he's taking as much KMR as he should, he won't need a lot of Pedialyte. For children it says "small sips every 15 minutes" which probably wouldn't be a bad idea for a kitten either, at least until he's fully hydrated.

If you don't think you're making much progress, get him to a vet. They can give him sub-q fluids so you don't have to worry about rehydrating him yourself.

You might want to try some Gerber chicken baby food too. He's old enough to try semi-solids and the smell/taste might perk him up a little. But only if he's fully hydrated, or he won't be able to digest it properly.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For kmr it would be 90-100 ml a day. If he gets just pedialyte its at least the same, may be some more.

Essentially as much he takes. :)

The weak ones dont manage much at a time so little at a time but often.

Ps I answered immediately but somewhow didnt send away at once...

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For that matter, you can mix the powdered KMR with pedialyte, and hit it on two fronts at once.

My best guess is that he's still just weak, and will slowly improve. It is possible, although not probable, that, if he had actual heat-stroke, there could be some neurological issues, but I'd not worry about that just yet. He's had a tough time, and needs TLC right now.