5 Week Old Kitten Post-enema Leakage

alidrewblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I'm brand new here. I've seen much thoughtful advice given and could use some about my 5 week old kitten! For the first time, I've been raising an orphaned kitten from two weeks old, and what a project it's been! At 4 weeks old, the vet gave her barium and an enema (x-rays found dirt in her belly). She has had normal poos since then, but she has also been leaking drips of poo for the 5 days since the enema. I know leakage is normal after an enema, but is 5 days normal? When can we expect it to stop? At what point should we be concerned? Thank you so much. Caring for a kitten this young is new to me and I've been very worried about her.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site, alidrewblue! Thanks for caring for this young kitten. I don't have much experience with enemas and young kitten's responses to them, but you might have more replies if you posted in the Cat Health forum.

Best wishes for you and your kitten.:redheartpump:

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like she may have a sensitive stomach. My late Maine Coon had problems with diarrhea as a kitten and it turned out to be the food I was feeding him. The breeder recommended Iam's which at the time was one of the high quality foods on the market and a little pricey. I thought I would be smart and not listen and bought the cheap stuff which had dye's in it. The vet said that was probably the problem. I switched back to Iam's and it didn't clear up. Some one I worked with recommended Purina One and I tried that. The problem cleared up immediately. He had diarrhea so bad that it just oozed out while he was walking around. If she has diarrhea like that it could be the problem.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. There are lots of helpful posters here. In fact, I'm going to add in a couple of the kitten experts: @Sarthur2 StefanZ StefanZ

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alidrewblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the feedback! She's had a lot of diet changes but she's been back to the kitten food we started with for a couple of days. Hopefully, that's all it is and her tummy will settle down soon.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Such a long laeckage sounds long... I think you can contact this vet again - you are his paying patient and its the same errand.

Btw, barium isnt a remedy, its a contrast for the x-rays. Dirt sounds peculiar - unless the kitten HAS swallowed dirt, for example, some litter...

Such a long laeckage sounds less usual. But may it be perhaps a rather normal watery diarrhea??
What is he eating? what kmr? Perhaps a change in kmr will be good. I would recomment trying with raw goats milk, if you can get it.

Or perhaps, you gave him something against constipation, alike oil, and continue with this, although the constipation is gone? In this case, you stop the oil-addition, or at least, cut it down strongly.

Also, if the laeckage is more than a few drops, he may need extra salts. Best is a pedialyte, clear flavorless pedialyte for babies...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alidrewblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply! She was given the barium because the x-rays showed some sort of debris in her stomach, and the enemas followed to help clear it out. She's been on medication for parasites as well. She was on formula, but now the vet has her on wet kitten food (nutro) with probiotics (with no oils or anything else added). She's started drinking water on her own. She also has been having normal bowl movements since the enemas and uses the litter box for those. However, my concern is that since the enema and the vet's anal probe, she's been leaking these little drips of liquidy brown poo, for 5 days now. She's not aware it's happening so doesn't use the box when it happens. It seems like a long time to me too.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply! She was given the barium because the x-rays showed some sort of debris in her stomach, and the enemas followed to help clear it out. She's been on medication for parasites as well. She was on formula, but now the vet has her on wet kitten food (nutro) with probiotics (with no oils or anything else added). She's started drinking water on her own. She also has been having normal bowl movements since the enemas and uses the litter box for those. However, my concern is that since the enema and the vet's anal probe, she's been leaking these little drips of liquidy brown poo, for 5 days now. She's not aware it's happening so doesn't use the box when it happens. It seems like a long time to me too.
If it were me I believe I would stop feeding her the wet food. I started to ask that earlier. If she was on wet food. I would call the vet and ask what they recommend. It sounds just like what I described my cat was doing in my earlier reply.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens need wet food; don't stop those meals. Are you offering dry as well?

I would definitely follow up with the vet.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How did the vet this anal probe? Dilatation Forcee is often dangerous for the anal sphincter, and laeckage may be the result. With humans and surely with kittens too.
Usually it isnt that serious, after all taking temp in the rectum is the usual, but still... If overdone it may give damages. Hopefully damages which will heal with time. but I did jumped up when I saw your wording, I did...