5 Week Old Kitten Help !!

Bran

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About a week ago I rescued a kitten from a woman who told me the little guy was 7-8 weeks old but when I took him to the vet she informed me he is only 5 weeks old.. I was worried but she told me I was doing a great job with him and he's very healthy, BUT I need tips / advice for a kitten this young.. as far as how much to handle, how to "train" and etc. I have read that kittens this young you have to be careful with because they can end up being anti-social, angry, basically they can end up not liking people..(His name is Lupin) I want to make sure I am taking care of him appropriately not just on a health level but a mental and social level as well. He seems to hide under the couch and bed a lot specially when he sleeps.. which I understand cats do but I keep putting him on top of the bed and couch to show him when he gets older he can sleep with us etc.. he will be left alone 5-6 days a week for 5-9 hours a day is that okay? Also how is their breathing usually? Lupin's seems to be very fast when he sleeps.. I called the vet immediately I counted the breaths for her she said it shouldn't be a problem he is probably just "hot" but I am still concerned about this fast, short breathing.. Thank You in advance for anyone who can help!!

Attachments

Dankworth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just got an 8 week old kitten, she was really nervous and hard to get along with for a few days and she's warmed up quite a bit. After she was clearly comfortable coming out from under the bed I (with much difficulty) managed to completely cat-proof the bed so she can't get under it, then made her a really comfy warm perch bed and plopped her in when she was really sleepy after play! Now she loves it and doesn't hide. Biggest help for me was finding the right toy / way to play with the toy so she could get into it, then she got some energy out and really calmed down.

Best advice I got here was don't worry so much! You took him to the vet, and they said you're doing great! Make sure he has a warm safe place (like a box) to sleep and relax and gets plenty of play time!