5 week kitten won't eat other than milk

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 5 week old kitten won't eat kibbles or wet food evsn though her siblings have been eating kibbles for almost a week. I am worrying as this one was born underweight and had trouble latching on from birth. I tried feeding kibble by hand and she ate but kept dropping the kibble before breaking them with her teeth and swallowing which seem to suggest she was having trouble chewing as well
She eats like 3-5 grains of kibble before turning away
What can I do to male her eat more food?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
You could try moistening the kibble, either with milk or pedialyte. Be patient with her, it may just take a little while longer but it sounds like she's working at it :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
You could try moistening the kibble, either with milk or pedialyte. Be patient with her, it may just take a little while longer but it sounds like she's working at it :)
She ate like 10 grains of kibble this morning so it is a new record but she still won't eat from the bowl, she just eats when I feed individual grains to her. But how can she survive eating so less than her littermates? I worry she might have issues with development because she starves herself

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What if you spread the kibble, both moistened and crumbled dry, on a flat paper plate?

Will she consume kitten milk replacer?

Kittens develop at different rates, you'll need to find something she'll eat until she's better able to handle kibble. Have you tried canned kitten food? It will have more calories than the kibble.

What about something this?
We gave twinkie the Tiki Cat kitten mousse as she would only lick the food and wouldn't actually eat anything

Last edited: