5 week kitten swallowed half the tip of a nipple of a bottle

Hunter44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have rescued two stray kittens. I’m assuming about four weeks old I’ve only had them two days. Judging from their size I’m thinking they’re about four weeks. I’ve been giving them a little bit of wet food with the kitten formula mixed in to help the weaning process, but also doing bottles a couple times through the night. Last night one of the kittens bit off the end of the nipple and I heard him snap it off and swallow it. Everything I am reading scares me because it says 50-50 chance that the kitten will survive? Is that true? It will cause intestinal blockage? Anyone have any experience with this please help. The kitten has not had a bowel movement since that happened, which was about two hours ago. He’s here having a little bit of runny poop the past couple days since I’ve had him I think it’s from starting the wet food and adjusting he went to the bathroom right before this happened so he has not gone to the bathroom yet since.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hunter44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to clarify, he had a little bit of runny poop before this happened because of the adjustment to solids this happened about two hours ago and he has not had a bowel movement since then. Do you think he’s old enough to pass this? Is this considered a large piece of the nipple, about half the nipple is gone .

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the tip will pass in a bowel movement. This happens frequently and I’ve yet to see a problem in my 8 years (thus far) on this forum.

I agree the diarrhea is from moving to wet food, but do not give this kitten another bottle. He’s teething and should now be able to lick or slurp formula from a flat plate or mixed with pate.

ChiRushbrook

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve just had this same issue and still waiting to see if my 4week old kitten passes it. I’ve paid £250+ so far on vet bills and have been told she may need surgery she has had to big poop since swallowing it. How did it go for you?

H Hunter44

Last edited by a moderator: