5-month Teething Kitten Acting Different

bthugny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
A few days ago, I found my 5-month kitten’s tooth on a desk, so I know he’s currently in the teething stage. His behavior has been relatively normal (at least to my awareness) since.

This morning, however, I noticed he was napping more than usual, and eating less. I freefed him dry kibble, which he’s eaten very slowly but is still getting through gradually in the day. He barely ate the wet food I gave him a few hours ago. I played with him for about 20 minutes, and he perked up immediately and was zooming around the room; and was very eager when I gave him wet treats.

I’ve just interacted with him after 2 hours of not watching him and he’s howled/cried in distress a few times as I’ve pet him. I saw he walks for a few seconds, sits, walks again, sits, (like taking breaks), then walks before plopping over to lie down again.

His stool has been fine so far today.

I am wondering if this somewhat lethargic/different behavior is related to his teething. Curious, I massaged his gums/jaw lightly with a thumb and he seemed to really enjoy it, not moving for a few minutes and elongating his head for me to go under his chin.

Based on my last statement, I’m inclined to believe his behavior is because of his teething.. He doesn’t have any history of health problems otherwise.
Or is this abnormal, not typically associated with teething behavior and calls for concern? I don’t understand why he’s acting so overtly strange today if he’s been teething for awhile now but I haven’t had a kitten this age before.

Any advice/opinions appreciated.. Thank you! ):

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This seems more pronounced than typical teething issues, like he's really hurting/sore, and the crying and the walking sitting behavior is concerning 😟

Can you get a video of that so your vet can see it?