5 month old foster females in heat

Mushandthefamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I volunteer for a rescue. I’ve been fostering since March so I’m a little new to kittens in general, but my rescue hasn’t been able to make spay and neuter appointments for months now because the lady who books them is in the hospital. There’s no backup personnel for it.

I’ve had these girls since birth and now the one is in heat. I’m crying and upset that I’m basically a terrible foster parent for not finding other places to get this done as I figured 5 months of age isn’t too late. I’m taking them to another agency this weekend hopefully to get them done and maybe the rescue can reimburse me. Idk. I feel terribly about all of this. Are they going to get mammary cancer now that the one is going to be spayed after her first heat has begun? I feel so horribly.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey everyone, I volunteer for a rescue. I’ve been fostering since March so I’m a little new to kittens in general, but my rescue hasn’t been able to make spay and neuter appointments for months now because the lady who books them is in the hospital. There’s no backup personnel for it.

I’ve had these girls since birth and now the one is in heat. I’m crying and upset that I’m basically a terrible foster parent for not finding other places to get this done as I figured 5 months of age isn’t too late. I’m taking them to another agency this weekend hopefully to get them done and maybe the rescue can reimburse me. Idk. I feel terribly about all of this. Are they going to get mammary cancer now that the one is going to be spayed after her first heat has begun? I feel so horribly.
My girl wasn't done until almost a year old. She came in and drove me bonkers before I was able to get an appointment. She's 8 now and has been in absolute perfect health her entire adult life. One of my cats I had as a young adult didn't get spayed until after a year old and she lived to be almost 16. She was never, ever sick her entire life and passed away in her sleep. Vets are extremely busy and backed up and getting a non emergency appointment requires a wait. You're doing fine, and they'll be fine too!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One heat period will only increase her chance of mammary cancer by a tiny amount, not worth worrying about. The longer they go, the higher the risk. So it's fine!

Maybe call whoever is in charge of the rescue and see if there's a particular vet they like to use who gives discounts.