5 mo. Kitten Diarrhea for 2 weeks

hankmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 5 month male Siamese-cross kitten who has been having diarrhea for about 2 weeks now. I have a vet appt in 3 days (it’s a long weekend here and this is the soonest appointment) but am wondering if I should do something in the mean time.

2 weeks ago I switched his food from science diet kitten chicken/liver dry and wet foods to Tiki Cat after dark chicken options. I wanted to give him something “better quality” and higher protein, less filler kind of food, plus he was having somewhat frequent and very smelly bowel movements (but not diarrhea). Unfortunately I transitioned way too quickly and that’s when the diarrhea started. After two days I switched him back to his regular science diet food… but for 10 days since then, he’s continued to have diarrhea. At first I thought he’d get better and it was due to the food switching, but it keeps getting worse and more frequent. I wanted to wait till the vet appointment as they might suggest a gastrointestinal food brand so I didn’t want to make additional changes right before, but it’s getting so bad I don’t think I should keep feeding him science diet if it’s making him sick? Maybe it’s a chicken allergy since that’s all I’ve ever fed him? Or an infection/parasite of some kind and it’s just coincidental, although he had a deworming tablet about a month ago.

I was wondering if a bland food diet for the next couple days before the vet appointment might help (like turkey (try and avoid chicken?), rice, maybe some pumpkin)?? But since he’s a still a kitten I’m worried about him missing out on essential nutrients…

He seems to be getting a bit more lethargic (although still has lots of playful and active moments) but I’m very worried and wondering if we should even wait for a vet appointment or do something sooner. Any help or advice much appreciated!

yokosmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would try cottage cheese. It always stops the diarrhea in my cats. also I would add water to the wet food and mix it up. but at this point I would only give it Cottage cheese to eat and water

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Compare the ingredients in the Tiki to those in the Science Diet and see if anything in particular stands out, as it might help give you some clues. In the meantime, I would try some limited ingredient foods - such as turkey, like you suggested. You can try adding some pumpkin, and/or even a probiotic like S. Boulardii.

Try to keep him hydrated as diarrhea can be dehydrating. Perhaps, a bit of canned tuna water added to his water dish, or you could get some KMR to help with hydration - as well as providing some extra nutrients.

If the vet is open at all, you might call and ask to be placed on a list to be notified if there is a cancellation where you could get in before your scheduled appt.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Definitely try some S. Boulardi, it's great for diarrhea. You can get it at health food stores, possibly even in the vitamin aisle at the grocery store. Give maybe 1/4 capsule mixed into his wet food twice per day. Extra moisture is definitely needed when cats have diarrhea since it can cause dehydration pretty quickly.

I've never heard of feeding them cottage cheese, but I used to feed mine plain yogurt because of the live cultures in it if they ever had soft stools. Not much though, just a little on my finger usually did the trick. But that wasn't for full blown diarrhea.

A limited diet for just a few days should be ok even though he's still growing. I wouldn't do it for long though. You should be ok until your Vet appointment since it's only three days. You could do poached turkey if you don't want to do chicken. Some people say rice is good for diarrhea, others say no, so take your pick there. But a very limited diet should help ease his digestive tract. You could also try giving him some Slippery Elm Bark syrup. That also help coat the intestines and helps with inflammation. Just don't use it within 2 hours of any medications. You can google how to use it, make the syrup, etc. if you aren't familiar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hankmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the replies! I ended up giving him some boiled turkey, rice (which he wasn’t really interested in) and pumpkin today. That definitely seemed to help. I’ll do that again tomorrow and then vet the following day. I’ll also look into or ask the vet about S. Boulardi and slippery elm bark syrup.

Thanks again!