5 days post spay - should I take her to the vet asap?

Kittycatcali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Attached are the pictures I’ve tried to get every day since she was spayed. It’s been 2 weeks since I adopted her. She has an appointment for her wellness visit at the vet next week but I’m wondering if I should try and get her in this week. It looks like scabbing but I’m worried about it opening up and also worried about her seroma. You can’t see it well because I’m only able to get good pictures when she rolls on her side. I’ve been trying to keep her less active by supervising her but I can’t do that while I’m at work. She’s locked in a room all day with only a small bed to jump on, and she’s still learning her new surroundings so she’s not had the zoomies since her spay.
IMG_4672.jpeg
IMG_4679.jpeg
IMG_4722.jpeg
IMG_4731.jpeg
IMG_4737.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is she still wearing a cone? The incision doesn't look red, swollen, or oozing so I don't think there's an emergency. Typically that's what you watch for - either confused bleeding or sign of infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittycatcali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she still wearing a cone? The incision doesn't look red, swollen, or oozing so I don't think there's an emergency. Typically that's what you watch for - either confused bleeding or sign of infection.
Thank you for your input. The vet tech told me not to even try a cone at home because they couldn’t get her to tolerate it. I bought a cat suit but she keeps escaping it. I’m guessing I should just try the cone myself.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They have some softie cones that are nicer than the hard plastic ones. I had a cat coned for months once! I tried a onesie and that didn't work for me. It's a challenge!

FurryMonsters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Soft recovery collars are often better tolerated than cones (that still doesn't mean "well tolerated" 😆).
I'd say if there's nothing oozing out of the wound and it doesn't smell bad it's OK for now, but watch it closely.

Hazel06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you are worried, you could send these photos into your vet, and see if they can take a look at them.
We did that with one of our cats, and they took a look and said it looked ok, which it was as it turned out.
And it means she doesn't have to have the stress of going into the vet, if she doesn't need to.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It looks completely fine to me. I think the easiest way to check is to lay your finger gently next to the incision and another finger on a different part of her belly. The temperature of her skin should be the same in both places. If she is much hotter around the incision site it's a sign that it is inflamed and possibly infected.

None of my cats every wore a cone after being spayed. It's OK if they lick around the scar a bit, you just don't want them getting hold of the stitches and trying to pull them out. If she hasn't done this so far I wouldn't bother trying to put a cone on her. No need to change anything if she's behaving herself.

:)

Kittycatcali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you are worried, you could send these photos into your vet, and see if they can take a look at them.
We did that with one of our cats, and they took a look and said it looked ok, which it was as it turned out.
And it means she doesn't have to have the stress of going into the vet, if she doesn't need to.
Thank you, I may just do that.

Kittycatcali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks completely fine to me. I think the easiest way to check is to lay your finger gently next to the incision and another finger on a different part of her belly. The temperature of her skin should be the same in both places. If she is much hotter around the incision site it's a sign that it is inflamed and possibly infected.

None of my cats every wore a cone after being spayed. It's OK if they lick around the scar a bit, you just don't want them getting hold of the stitches and trying to pull them out. If she hasn't done this so far I wouldn't bother trying to put a cone on her. No need to change anything if she's behaving herself.

:)
She has been so good about not licking it until tonight (that I’ve seen at least), and I was thinking it might be due to the seroma or irritation. I had two pain pills left for her so I went ahead and gave her one, and also was finally able to get her cat suit on in a way that she is unable to escape out of it. Whether or not she misbehaves now is TBD :cool: