4 weeks of Baytril for recurrent UTI symptoms

bikkaqwertyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are looking for some advice about a recurring issue our CKD cat has been having. Every few months she seems to get an initial UTI (blood in urine, frequent urination) which is validated by a urine culture (E. coli). However, it’s been the pattern that she'll get the same symptoms about a month after we finish two weeks of antibiotics. The second time, the culture will be negative. Her most recent culture, collected on 8/6, was positive for E. coli.

Because of this pattern, the ER vet suggested we try 4-6 weeks of antibiotics instead of 2 when the symptoms recurred last week. The thinking is that it may be an embedded UTI that evades the first round of antibiotics, either hiding in her bladder walls or some debris he noticed (she had some kidney stones that didn't show up in her last ultrasound at the end of May, I'm wondering if the debris remaining from that).

However, we were warned by our local vet that the antibiotic we started, Baytril, can damage kidney enzymes with prolonged use. We also saw online that it can cause blindness. Ideally we would like to try the extended course to eliminate the possibility of the recurring UTI, but we obviously don't want to worsen her CKD or cause her to go blind. We know it’s a lot of antibiotics, but so is having to do another two-week course every few months due to recurrence. She's already done two weeks of Clavamox and ten days of Baytril in the past. Our other regular internal medicine vet believes it isn’t an embedded infection but rather sterile cystitis (feline idiopathic cystitis- FIC). Ultrasounds for our cat have also looked relatively good, so she recommended not rechecking ultrasound, especially since she said UTIs and FIC can both cause thickened bladder walls.

To provide more context, Tikka also has SCL/IBD and takes chlorambucil and prednisolone, which is likely lowering her immune defenses and leading to UTIs. That won’t be changing anytime soon. She also had high creatinine in one of the last few tests, but in the most recent test, her values were within the reasonable range but at the very cusp of the high end of normal.

Carolynjacksmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know much about CKD but I had some experience with UTI with my cat that had other issues. Yes antibiotics were given, but reoccurred and was peeing everywhere and in pain. Got through that one with antibiotics again. After much research, I came across a website with natural holistic meds for cats and dogs. I love my cat I'll try anything. The website is "Pets Well-Being" - I purchased "Gold Uninary" formula for cats. She never had another UTI- used it for years - it is the best! Note: I did have my veterinarian check it out to make sure all the ingredients were okay to use along with all the meds she was on- you must do that! I don't know if this will help you, but if you're able to try it and give it a shot- I hope you're blessed with much success.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat who has CKD also was prone to e-coli based UTIs - however, those were before she was actually diagnosed with CKD. She has been on pure D-Mannose since 2021 and the UTIs stopped - until very recently. The more recent UTI is most likely not e-coli (awaiting urine culture) and probably related to the CKD as it does seem these cats are more prone to getting infections.

Nonetheless, D-Mannose is a sugar molecule (does not increase risks for/of diabetes) that many bacteria adhere to in the bladder and are then flushed out with urination instead of colonizing to develop into an infection. It impacts more than just e-coli, but of course cannot prevent certain other types of bacteria from colonizing - one that don't adhere. I would highly recommend giving your cat pure D-Mannose. I give Feeby 1/4 tsp daily, mixed into her food. This is the one I use, although I get it through Amazon.
UTI Pets Pure D-Mannose Powder | WellnessPartners.com™

D-Mannose For UTI: Dosage, Benefits, Side Effects (liveutifree.com)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If I'm understanding correctly, you are working with three different Vets, and none of them can agree on how to handle this situation? Or do two of them agree? (You didn't say what the Internal Medicine Vet would do as far as treatment, I don't think)

Aside from adding the D-Mannose and possible other supplements to her regime, perhaps there is something here that might help. It's a long read, but is about UTI's and CKD: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Pyelonephritis (Kidney Infections) and UTIs (Urinary Tract Infections)