4 week old kittens with diarrhea

catloveralyx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 4 week old kittens have diarrhea but I have no idea where it’s coming from.My nursing mom cat also has diarrhea but I’m not sure if it’s possible to spread it to her kittens.It’s liquidy and some type of yellowish color and smells bad.We switched them to wet pate food when they turned 4 weeks old(they’re now 4 weeks and a half)And we think that caused them diarrhea maybe they were too young.Now we feed them small kibble but they still have it.I also think they don’t have worms since i haven’t noticed any when they do go.I cannot afford to take them to the vet and want to know the main cause or what I can do to help them(I do have a cat diarrhea drops to place in water but I’m not sure if it’s suitable for 4 weeks old).They also struggle to use litter box and have accidents on their blankets,they also haven’t tried water yet

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Diarrhea in young kittens can be from any number of things, some of which can be deadly (especially at such a young age). Some broad-spectrum anthelmintics can be used at 4 weeks, but they should really be assessed by a vet to determine the cause. How are you planning to get them and their mother vaccinated and neutered?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
4 weeks is pretty young to start them on solid food. If mom is still nursing them and has enough milk you could try taking away the solid food, wet or dry, for another week or two.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yellow, smelly diarrhea is usually caused by coccidia. It is a parasite, and yes, they probably got it from mom’s milk. They will all need treating with Albon or Ponazuril. Both are prescription.

If you take mom and kittens to the vet together, it should be one charge for the visit and a separate charge for the meds. It should be less than $100 dollars and they may let you pay over time.

This is not an unusual infection but will not go away on its own and can become debilitating, dehydrating, and lead to death if not treated.

Coccidiosis in Cats

catloveralyx catloveralyx

Last edited: