4 Week Old Kitten With Mom Not Gaining Weight

akrichard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I have a foster family of a mom + 3 4-week old kittens. One of the kittens has remained at the same weight for 5 days. Yesterday, I administered 20cc of fluids as requested by the shelter vet. I'm going to check in with the vet tomorrow, but I'm curious as what this community would recommend. The kitten seems to be nursing, but less active than it's littermates.

Would you start supplemental feeding? does this happen to kittens that they don't gain weight for 5 days?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I would recommend supplementing with KMR. There can be several reasons why the kitten isn't gaining weight despite nursing from mom. Maybe they have trouble latching on, or get pushed away by the bigger kittens. When you're feeding with KMR, you can use either a special bottle for nursing kittens (you can find these at a pet supply store), or a needless syringe. Feed the kitten belly side down, head slightly elevated, like the position they would be in while nursing from mom. This article has more information: Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn's Life

I'm glad that you are checking with the vet. Let us know what they say. I think the KMR should make a difference.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

akrichard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your knowledge & advice. I checked in with a mentor affiliated with the shelter who has bottle fed many kittens, and she had me start supplemental feeding. The little kitten has gained .5 oz. I'm so happy! I haven't heard any more info from the shelter vet for any other instructions, so this must be the best course of action.