4 week old kitten diarrhea and red anus

Jojo825

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is an orphaned 4 week old kitten. He is very active. Was feeding with bottle, kitten formula. Never seemed satisfied. The last 2 feedings I added in a dish Royal Canin Mom and Baby Kitty mousse textured food mixed with formula. He gobbled up so fast. Shortly after he had loose stool. Light brown color. Some
Stuck to his bum. I gently patted him clean. The next feeding I gave him
Just formula in bottle with pedialyte. I’ve never stopped the formula just wanted to add some extra to his diet because he seemed to want more. Is this common. I will take him
To ER vet is necessary but would much rather have my vet take a look. Thank you.
F7C13F6A-82E3-45CA-89CC-E617887E1A22.jpeg

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like coccidiosis, which is a parasitic disease often found in kittens. It can be deadly because it dehydrates them pretty quickly; however, if you can get into your vet soon, I do not see a need for an ER vet visit, especially since you said he has been active. Several kittens I have fostered and four of my own cats--including my three new kittens--have had it and been fine. Sulfa antibiotics tend to do the trick. Has he been wormed?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like a reaction to gobbling up a can of food he is not used to. Clean his bum gently with a warm damp cloth and apply coconut oil or vaseline to soothe. Even A&D ointment if he is not yet cleaning his own bum.

See the vet to treat for worms or parasites since he was a stray, and feed tiny amounts of wet food at a time. Also soften dry kitten chow with the formula for him to eat. He may be at least 6 weeks old if he ate food so easily. Once his system adjusts the diarrhea should stop. Thank you for saving him! :)