4 months old kitten in heat... what can I do and when can she be spayed?

Micaela227

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, it's me again. My barely 4 months old female kitten is in heat. I never had a female cat before, so I had no idea it could happen this early. She's passing around, non-stop meowing and trying very hard to get my neutered male cats to pay any attention to her -it isn't working. Actually, they kind of run away or completely ignore her. Some neighbors cats suddenly are very interested in our backyard (but of curse Gina isn't allowed to go outside).
I have been playing with her a lot more than normal, and petting her more too. It seems to distract her for a while, but five minutes after she starts all over again. It's 6 pm right now, and since yesterday afternoon she's slept maybe 5 hours max. Is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable?

Also, I read online that in some places kittens get spayed as early as two months old. Where I live (Buenos Aires) pets don't get spayed until they are six months old. Do you have any experience in spaying kittens younger than six months? Is it safe? Should I ask my vet if it is an option for her? She is so tiny!!

IMG-20210121-WA0009.jpeg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she weighs at least 2 pounds and is healthy, not underweight, then the anesthetic is safe. But some vets aren't comfortable doing surgery on smaller kitties and you don't want them to do something they aren't comfortable with, or don't have experience with. Now if she weighs at least 4 pounds, really any vet should be able to do it. Call your vet and ask about your options.

Other than spaying, there's not a whole lot you can do for her, the 2 of you just have to tough it out. A heat pack on her tummy might help a little, but that won't last for long. She should be through with the yowling in a week or so, but may cycle right back in another couple weeks. Some vets will use hormonal birth control to bring them out of heat, I guess that's an option to ask the vet about.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My vet will spay at 4 months but prefers not to do it when they are in heat. I know this is very disturbing as I have been there before....just make sure she does not get outside. She is a real cutie.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our youngest went into heat about three weeks before her scheduled spay. We ended up confining her to one room by herself for much of the day. We'd let her come out and roam with supervision. We also put her in a crate and put her in the den with us. Our male cat (neutered) wouldn't leave her alone and when we'd go to pick her up she'd flop over like a dish rag. It's dangerous to spay them while in heat because all the blood vessels are engorged with blood, though it is done. We were told to wait 2 weeks, then she could be spayed.