4 mo old vomiting & diarrhea?

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Friday around 5 am, one of two cats threw up -- all I saw was foam on the carpet as aftermath, not sure if it was just foam or if any food along with it was eaten?

- around 8 am that same Fri, 4 mo old kitten (Meri) had a loose bm.
- then around 2:30 pm she had a second loose bm - this time it was full of mucus
- She had a third teensy dime-shaped loose bm in the evening.

She was peckish with her food - not too unusual for her, I put some probiotics on it and she ate some wet food and a good portion of dry food. I had some cat pumpkin topper, and put a little with her food. She's been drinking good portions of water.

it is now Saturday - 1:30 am. Just woke up to her vomiting - don't think she'd eaten since around 8:30pm or even earlier? She'd been asleep on the bed, and seemed to have just woken up. the vomit was very liquidy in form and food-like in coloring - light brownish/orange. There was a little foam in one bit. (Have a pic if that is helpful).

5-8 min after this kitten had a fourth bit of diarrhea in the litter box, very loose - no mucus. All is cleaned, she's back to kneading on the bed, and as I'm typing this on my phone she went after the charging cord. Play has been so regular - she had a good hour and a half running around the house this evening and then ran after her feather wand toy right before bed. There is no change in behavior, no lethargy, nothing there.

thoughts:
- she had a vet apptmnt tues where she got her last of 3 rounds of vaccines and her rabies vaccine. I know her poop has been solid at least once since then, but she did have a loose bm a day after (she is prone to diarrhea when stressed, so we chalked that one up to that)
- there was a spill of epsom bath salts that was noticed on the floor yesterday afternoon that must have happened at some point yesterday - we didnt know how long the spill had been there but wondered about the possibility of the kitten eating some? Did not see this ingestion happen, and she wouldve been in eyesight of the spill if she had eaten anything while we were awake. Wonder if it's possible spill happened thurs night or early fri am. Did a prelim search on cats & epsom salts when it was noticed, didn't worry too much as it sounded like it was v. Bitter and would likely have not been eaten in a big quantity if at all -

but that's all that we can think of as potential causes?

Is this an emergency vet situation? (That's the only option in my region on the weekend). Is it safe to wait a little longer (like give it one more day) to see if it clears up? Going on two days is concerning, and vomiting + diarrhea in such close proximity also feels concerning. Also the foam? Don't know what to make of that. Again, her behavior is unchanged and highly energetic, though she is a spunky 4 mo old kitten through and through.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Back to say she pooped again at 7:30 am, still wet and she ate a little bit of dry food.

called the emergency vet and they asked about blood (there is none) and then said "well, bring her in as she may be dehydrated"...
..but I can see her skin snap back down when i hold it, and don't really think that's the case? So, still on the fence about seeking immediate care.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If she is still eating/drinking OK and active, I am not sure it warrants a trip to the ER - especially if you feel she is not dehydrated. If it were to be the epsom salt, that should pass soon, I would think. Epsom salt is known to be used by some humans for relieving constipation, so that could be why she has loose stools. But, epsom salt can also cause dehydration, and is likely why the ER suggested it.

I would watch her for negative changes. Ensure she is eating/drinking adequately and give it another day to see how she is doing.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, as long as she is drinking, she should be fine. Offer her extra water. Epsom salts is what hospitals gave years ago to clean people out before surgeries. It is a VERY potent laxative, so if she got even a little on her paws and licked it off it would cause that. Her vaccinations could cause it too. A sick cat will hide, stop eating/drinking and act lethargic, so I would give her another day and see how it goes. I'm sure the vet was worried about dehydration because kittens are very prone to it with diarrhea. if she is drinking though, that should help that.