4 Am Wake Up Calls

Baylie the Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Baylie my adorable, not quite two year old Norwegian Forest Cat X is my 4 am wake up call every day.
Background:
He is a happy and content single cat during the day (both when I am at home or at work) he is quite stand off-ish and doesn’t like too much attention. And doesn’t want to go outside. He likes to be perched somewhere where he can see me. I work from home very often.
He has 3 different cat trees, scratch posts, more toys than I can count, food all the time and fresh water.
He also gets play time every evening before going to bed at least 30 mins of him running around chasing a feathered stick.

BUT
some time after 4 am he decides it’s scratch time.
He paws at doors, wood furniture, floors, basically any hard surface in the bedroom.
I have tried: water squirt bottle; double sided tape; deterrent sprays; foils; more scratching posts and feliway (quite possibly other things that I can’t remember right now).

Nothing seems to help.
I am forced to go sleep on the sofa as he doesn’t do it on the lounge on many occasions so I at least get sleep at 4 am.
It’s gettting to the point where I just don’t know what I can do.
I need your help!

Has anyone else had this problem and over come it? Please help

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
When he wakes you up at 4:00am put him outside your room, shut the door and go back to sleep. He will scratch, meow and generally try to get you to let him in. But if you do this every single day he will eventually figure out he needs to occupy himself because you aren’t going to let him in.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you put food out at night? if mine are hungry there is NO sleep for me. Otherwise they do come in for a bit normally between 3 and 4. I have gotten good at giving little pets without really waking up. a little snuggle usually does what they need and then they sleep the rest of the night at the foot of my bed. They were worse about waking me up when they were younger. 3 years old, one is 4 now, and they do seem to have calmed down with the early morning romps :)
hope you sleep well tonight!